My Fish Less Cycle

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
I am pretty sure the dominant one is a male. The dorsal fin is much more prominent and pointed. They're eyes are all red but from pictures I've seen I'm sure they are all lemons. From what I can see I think there are at least 2 other males. I'm not sure about the other 4 yet. One of the definite males is about the same size as the dominant one and the other is quite a bit smaller than the big two.

http://i639.photobucket.com/albums/uu120/DavMars/image-6.jpg

I turned the aquarium lights out for a couple,of minutes. I could see that the cornered ones immediately swam out into the middle as did the dominant but no chasing and they just all got on with each other. I put the lights back on and they are still swimming together.

From what I can tell, they do look like lemons.  You have to be careful sometimes though...  Similar looking fish can easily be mistaken by a rushed employee.  Also, they miscount.  And if you want specific genders, I find it's best to offer to catch them yourself, if need be.  

Glad they are settling in better.  After a good long night with the lights out (really calms them down) you may be surprised in the morning by how well they get accustomed to the surroundings.  Keep an eye on your water stats for a week to ensure no mini-cycle starts up.  You will more than likely be fine, but its better to check than be sorry later.  Watch them closely and see if they gang up on an individual... that's usually a bad sign.  (Many shoaling fish don't want "runts" or weak individuals in the group, as these will attract predators more readily.  

Enjoy! 
fish.gif

Thanks Daize.

This morning their behaviour is better. All fish are confidently swimming around most areas of the tank and all 7 are mostly swimming together but they often separate. The big dominant one is still patrolling the wood from time to time but he isn't chasing the others away much, only now and again. I'm glad because I didn't like seeing them all scared to come out of the corner.

I fed them flake. It is hard to know how much to give. I gave little pinches at a time and watched them eat. They didn't eat it all but they don't seem to go to the surface which is where the flake lies. They wait for it to submerge. I gave about 3 or 4 pinches. They were still searching for food but there is still some floating on the surface so I stopped and reckon they'll get it sooner or later.

I tested the water this morning at 10:30am. Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate all zero. The fact that there is no nitrate means nothing is being processed which on its own is a bad thing but the fact that no ammonia is showing I think means there just isn't any, or very little ammonia being produced by the fish. I am aware that they hadn't fed since I got them home so maybe that's something to do with it. It will be interesting to see tomorrows result now that they are eating.

David

Be careful not to overfeed.  Those flakes are power packed with nutrition.  Feed only what they can eat in less than 2 minutes.  Some fish are top feeders (shoot up to the top to get the food), others are midwater feeders (wait for the food to float down past them), some only feed off the substrate (has to sink all the way down for them to notice it), and others will go wherever the food is.

Of my fish, harlequin rasboras are top-mid feeders.  My neon tetras are midwater feeders.  Cories are bottom feeders.  And back when I had guppies, they would feed everywhere - top, middle, bottom.  They were hogs!

You can put your fingers with the pinch of food into the water, the flakes should sink more readily.  This may keep you from adding too much.  I only feed my fish 5 or 6 days a week, as it is.  I have plenty of plants, so they can graze on them if they want - not necessarily to eat the plant, but to remove little microbes that we can't even see.  

Glad to hear they are settling in.

Great tip thanks, to put the food under the surface with my fingers. Ill try that tonight. One tiny pinch at a time until they stop eating or 2 minutes have passed, whichever comes first.

Hi

Feeding by putting my fingers under the water is much better thanks.

Tested the water this morning and Ammonia was between 0 & 0.25ppm, Nitrite was zer and nitrate was roughly 2.5ppm.

It is my intention to do routine water changes every Sunday but obviously I didn't do one today because I only out the fish in on Friday. I am thinking ill do one mid week and then another one week from today then every Sunday from therein.

What is the maximum ppm that you should ever let Nitrate get to? Or is it not as simple as that?

David

Its not always as simple as that, but 40ppm is a good aim point.  Trying to keep it under 20ppm is even better, if your tap water doesn't contain nitrates.

Hi

All is good with the tank however, I have a question.

The last couple of tests have showed small amounts of ammonia and nitrate. Nitrite has been consistently zero. Today, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate are all zero. How can I show nitrate one day and not the next? Are the plants processing nitrate?

I have shook and banged the nitrate test solutions for ages before doing the test but it still shows zero. While I am happy it is zero, is like to understand why.

The fish are looking great. Their colours have really intensified. The lemon tetras really are beautiful. There is different shades of yellow, blue/purple, black and of course red in their eyes. I remember getting them home and thinking they were quite plain and washed out looking. It's incredible how they've changed.

David

Hi Daize,

I'm thinking of getting out my DSLR with Macro lens and tripod and have a go at some real nice shots. Pics from the ipad just Dont do the fish justice. I'll try tomorrow.

Fish in the LFS never look as good as they will in your tank at home - assuming you do what's necessary, which you have!  They color up when feeling secure, and will fade when they are stressed.  Also, if you check them in the middle of the night, you will notice that they also look washed out then too... that's normal.  They don't show their colors at night.

As for the nitrates, yes, plants will take up nitrate, or even ammonia directly from the water column.  Its possible that if you have RAPIDLY growing plants, that the plants are using up the nitrates/ammonia and that's why you are getting a zero reading.  Nothing to worry about.  Water changes will still be necessary, but you won't have to worry about the nitrates as much.  

What plants do you have?  What's the volume of the tank?  And what's the photoperiod?

Hi

I have Jungle Val x 2, Crypts x 2, 2 lots of Java moss and 7 amazon frogbit. The frogbit is growing quite quick but I see no growth in anything else. One of the crypts might be a little bigger but not sure. The tank is 90 Litres. You asked what the photoperiod is. Not sure what that means but I have the lights on format least 6 hours and upto 8 per day, if that answers the question.

David

Yesterday I had around 4-5ppm nitrate. Today I have near zero so plants must process some indeed. Ammonia and nitrite were both zero also. Did a 30% water change this morning and cleaned up the sand, glass and any dead leaves etc. Now ready for Cardinal Tetras going in tomorrow :)

Will try and get some decent pictures soon. Not had time.

David

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back