My Fish Less Cycle

Cool, I'll leave the oto's for now and deal with this hairy stuff manually. From the link you provided the only thing similar is the filamentous algae but it doesn't look quite the same.

Eagle, just in case you haven't noticed, check out Mervin's thread about fishless cycle and slime. You posted a reply recently. The stuff in their photos is exactly what I've got and I've since found some more info on it. I posted a link to the info on Mervin's thread.

Just in case you're interested or have an opinion. Seems it could be something specifically to do with cycling tanks. Bacterial growth??

David

I noticed a tiny amount of that stuff on an ornament when I first started cycling.  It never spread and seemed to die off along with the rest of the tank when the cycle stalled.

Is the wood mopani?  I had this happen with all the mopani I've put into my tanks.  It's normal.  

I still wouldn't worry about it.  I'd remove it as much as possible and then get the fish.  Some fish may eat it, some may not.  It will go away on its own.

That's what i'll do.  Results this morning were Ammonia 0.25ppm and Nitrite between 0 and 0.25ppm.

I just can't wait to see those Lemon Tetras swimming around my tank.  It's been a long time coming. 

David

Hi

This mornings results were Ammonia: 0 and Nitrite: 0-0.25ppm.

Removed as much of the fungus as I could last night. When I put the wood back in I could only see a tiny bit here and there. Tonight, there is one bit that seems to have grown to about 2cm. Attached java moss to wood with glue.

Tomorrow night is the big night. 100% water change, clean the glass inside and out, clean filter, vacuum sand, reorganise everything to where I want it and then..........Friday, ADD LEMON TETRAS X 7.

I wouldn't touch the filter.  Its still a little more fragile.  Let it sit for about a month and then give it its first "cleaning".

Congrats on the fish! 
fish.gif

Ok. Will leave it alone. Should I remove it and put it (leaving the sponges inside the body) in some tank water? I remember you said you don't bother doing this when you do a water change but as I'm going to planting etc, I estimate the filter would be out of water for around an hour.

Thanks

David

I definitely would.  Not worth risking all your hard work!

An hour isn't a long time, really.  But, if you would feel more secure putting it into some old tank water, then certainly!  No harm in it.

Wow, that was hard work!

Did 100% water change, vacuumed the sand in the process, removed everything from the tank, refixed the background which was all bubbly, got rid of brown leaves from the plants, planted them in the sand, positioned rocks, pebbles and wood and added dechlorinated water before adding frogbit.

Doesn't really sound much when you write it down but it's taken me nearly 4 hours. The only problem I encountered was after I switched the filter back on. At the beginning, I switched it off and removed it and placed it in a glass jar of tank water. It sat there the whole time until I had filled the tank again. I lifted it out and reattached it in the tank. I switched it back on and it came on no problems. I had it running while I was finishing everything of and tidying up. About 15 minutes later I sat down to look at the result of my hard work. I have the filter set so the Venturi is in and noticed it stuttering. It was like the filter was shutting off for about a second and then going back on. It did this for ages so I decided it might be clogged with all the loose debris from the new plants and all the sand after adding all the new water. So I chose to open it and I VERY carefully lifted out one of the sponges. Sure enough, there was quite a build up of gunk. I still had the jar of tank water that the filter had been sitting in. It was a dirty brown colour. I lowered the sponge into the water and VERY gently waved it back and forth in the water. The big bits of gunk came off easily. I didn't touch any part the the media other than the little handle at the top. I carefully put it back in the filter and did the same with the other 2 media in the filter. I switched it back on and it hasn't stuttered since.

Now of course I'm paranoid as both Eaglesaquarium and Daize advised me not to clean the media. I've added ammonia to the tank but a little less than usual as assuming I haven't killed my bacteria, am adding fish tomorrow at about lunch time so I really want the ammonia and nitrite at zero by that time.

I added the ammonia at 10:30pm and just tested the water now. The ammonia is 1.0ppm and nitrite and nitrate are zero.

What do you think? I guess only time will tell. I'll test it at about 7:30 in the morning and hope for the best.

David

I think you'll be fine.  You don't want the filter acting up...  If it breaks, then whether there is viable bacteria or not in the filter won't matter. 

It can be a bit of work making adjustments to the tank, etc.  But, in the end it looks better and is worth the effort (at least to me).  You'll be able to sit and enjoy the new fish settling in tomorrow night, which will make tonight's effort seem much more worthwhile.  
fish.gif
 Enjoy.  (Btw, if the tanks at the LFS don't look perfect to you, don't feel obligated to make a purchase right then...  Better to wait and to get healthy fish than have to deal with illnesses immediately.)

If your filter was struggling then I'd have done the same.  I guess just keep a close eye on your water stats, check it tomorrow, hope it's okay for you
good.gif

I'll be waiting for pics!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back