My First Sturgeon

Nice catch mate!... Not too many of those in fisheries, probably because of the size they can reach.

What were you origionally fishing for? skimmers and the odd carp wasit?

I havent been fishing for a good 3 months, usually start my pike fishing soon, great in this weather. I had a pike on my pole last session. Ever seen a pike bunjee jumping? :lol:
 
haha would like to see a pike being caught on a pole, I knew they had sturgeon in the fishery so I baited up with a few small cubes of luncheon meat and pellets, and was fishing for carp and sturgeon really. Been back there bout 5 times and never caught another sturgeon yet lol
 
Nice fish,

I love sturgeon fishing, go to Canada every year and fish the Fraser River in BC.

Biggest fish we have caught was just over 8 feet long!!!

These are more like the average size we catch though.

Enjoy
 

Attachments

  • Sturgeon1.webp
    Sturgeon1.webp
    37.8 KB · Views: 104
  • Sturgeon2.webp
    Sturgeon2.webp
    35.3 KB · Views: 135
  • Sturgeon3.webp
    Sturgeon3.webp
    31.5 KB · Views: 141
well thats just blown my fish out the water haha, they are chompers lol, they dont have the long snout like mine thoe, so does that mean the one I caught doesnt grow that big?
 
well thats just blown my fish out the water haha, they are chompers lol, they dont have the long snout like mine thoe, so does that mean the one I caught doesnt grow that big?

I believe in the right environment white sturgeon (the ones in Canada) can live to over 100 years and depending on the environmental conditions grow 3 to 6 cm a year. The sturgeon you are catching look to be Sterlets, these are a smaller slower growing species common in ponds in the UK which can reach around 1.2 metres but will probably max out around 60 - 90cm depending on the pond size etc...

Regards,

Mark
 

Most reactions

Back
Top