My cycling update thread...

Motoceles

Reaction score
My ammonia level on mine is about the same as yours. I plan on checking for nitrites this weekend which would put me at a week.

OP
Rocky998

Rocky998

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
A few days ago I started a notebook log for my cycle (and my aquarium in general) so I can keep track of everything I'm doing good and bad... Also, I think my nitrItes are starting to get a tone of grey in there, about to fade into a light purple... The pic doesnt show it well but I tried to do my best...
1022211013.jpg
1022211014.jpg

xxBarneyxx

Fish Aficionado
Reaction score
A few days ago I started a notebook log for my cycle (and my aquarium in general)
This is always a great idea. Online journals are good too but I always used to keep a book for each tank and track everything that went on with it.

Over time they can be a great source of personal experience. I recently come back to the hobby after quite a few years away and my old tank books have been great for reminding me of a bunch of bits of info I had forgotten.

This is one of my books from one of my first planted tanks, probably 15ish years old at least.
20211022_155913.jpg

OP
Rocky998

Rocky998

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
This is always a great idea. Online journals are good too but I always used to keep a book for each tank and track everything that went on with it.

Over time they can be a great source of personal experience. I recently come back to the hobby after quite a few years away and my old tank books have been great for reminding me of a bunch of bits of info I had forgotten.

This is one of my books from one of my first planted tanks, probably 15ish years old at least.
View attachment 146060
Yah, I dont have that much info... I keep track of only what I do to the aquarium and what the parameters are...

Slaphppy7

Mod Squaderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
What's the tank temp?
Is there a bubbler going?

Do you have your filter going at max flow?

OP
Rocky998

Rocky998

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
What's the tank temp?
Is there a bubbler going?

Do you have your filter going at max flow?
Tank temp: 81F
No bubbler but I have a non operating sponge filter in there to grow bacteria so I can quickly cycle the quarantine tank...
Yes the filter is at max

Slaphppy7

Mod Squaderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Tank temp: 81F
No bubbler but I have a non operating sponge filter in there to grow bacteria so I can quickly cycle the quarantine tank...
Yes the filter is at max
Get that sponge filter going, help oxygenate the tank = faster growing BB

xxBarneyxx

Fish Aficionado
Reaction score
Oh ok! Also... The tank water keeps going down in a few days due to evaporation... Any ideas so I dont have to keep adding more water and ammonia?
topping up due to evaporation wont effect ammonia so don't worry about having to do a bit of a top up here and there.

The water evaporates and is pretty pure (all the ammonia and stuff gets left being slightly more concentrated). So when you add more water back to top up it just goes back to how it was.

It only when you remove the water with the ammonia still in it (like a water change) that you have to worry about adding the ammonia back again.

OP
Rocky998

Rocky998

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
topping up due to evaporation wont effect ammonia so don't worry about having to do a bit of a top up here and there.

The water evaporates and is pretty pure (all the ammonia and stuff gets left being slightly more concentrated). So when you add more water back to top up it just goes back to how it was.

It only when you remove the water with the ammonia still in it (like a water change) that you have to worry about adding the ammonia back again.
Oh ok whew... Thanks

Slaphppy7

Mod Squaderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Ok... I was leaving it open (for now) due to ease of access and bacteria "landing" on the water... But I can ig
The bacteria will "find" the water column just fine with the lid on, and closed

Most reactions