My cycling update thread...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I take that back. My ammonia may be a bit on the high side. I'd post pics but I don't want to hijack your thread. I might start a new one.
Yah, dont add ammonia if youre unsure...

Ok... So, the purple coloration for the nitrite test is definitely darker than earlier today... Sadly I wasnt able to find that air pump @Slaphppy7... Sorry :(
1023212228.jpg

So this evening I did a test for my Ammonia, Nitrites, and Nitrates and these were the results... Picture tip: dont do flash cause it makes all of the results look close to 0 lol
1024212100.jpg
1024212059.jpg
1024212058.jpg

It looks to be 2ppm ammonia, 1-2ppm Nitrites, and 5-10ppm of nitrates...

Your nitrite will shoot up now - but it will read 5 as that's the highest the tester goes. Nitrite goes up faster than ammonia goes down because each 1 ppm ammonia is converted to 2.7 ppm nitrite.

Your nitrite will shoot up now - but it will read 5 as that's the highest the tester goes. Nitrite goes up faster than ammonia goes down because each 1 ppm ammonia is converted to 2.7 ppm nitrite.
Nice to know! I'm doing my daily morning test now... I'm just waiting for the the results

It's looking good for you so far, good job. I think I overdosed mine last week because I have 0 nitrites. Trying the conservative route this time and dose it if the ammonia goes below 2ppm. *sigh*

It's looking good for you so far, good job. I think I overdosed mine last week because I have 0 nitrites. Trying the conservative route this time and dose it if the ammonia goes below 2ppm. *sigh*
The nitrIte phase of the cycle can happen quickly for some tanks, so quickly that it is never noted.

You could try some bottled bacteria... I know some recommend against it but in your case it may be a good idea... Give it 4 more days and if nothing get some BB...

I just tested the nitrates which is still at zero. Wouldn't that indicate that the nitrite cycle hasn't started yet? I started dosing the tank on 10/16, tested daily for ammonia and tested for nitrites last Saturday which was zero. Been testing daily ever since.

I think I was reading the color chart wrong and put too much ammonia. This time I am using my window for light instead of my led when I read the test results. Hopefully that helps.

Let me know what you think if I am totally off on this. Thanks.

OP let me know if you want me to start my own thread.

I just tested the nitrates which is still at zero. Wouldn't that indicate that the nitrite cycle hasn't started yet? I started dosing the tank on 10/16, tested daily for ammonia and tested for nitrites last Saturday which was zero. Been testing daily ever since.

I think I was reading the color chart wrong and put too much ammonia. This time I am using my window for light instead of my led when I read the test results. Hopefully that helps.

Let me know what you think if I am totally off on this. Thanks.

OP let me know if you want me to start my own thread.
Maybe you should start a new thread (I dont mind you talking in here) but you'd get better answers making your own thread rather than staying here.

Do you have any light on the tank?

I'll start my own. Yes I have a light on but I usually have it on blue for aesthetics while it's cycling. It looks cool at night :)

I'll start my own. Yes I have a light on but I usually have it on blue for aesthetics while it's cycling. It looks cool at night :)
Ok, turn it off... Bacteria grows better under no light. And also, sorry to say, fish dont like blue lights

Most reactions

trending

Back