My Channoides Pair

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Another quick update, the female passed all the eggs she laid up to now, to the male. The male is currently holding and his head is friggin massive! It looks like he has too much to handle as his head is dipping down from the weight of all the eggs. What makes it worse is; she's still making the male squeeze eggs out of her. I feel bad for my male, but happy at the same time lol. Looks like I'll have an army if channoides in 15-20 days after incubation, heck yeah!

Here's 2 pics of the male holding, guys. Couldn't get the best pics, since the male is very cautious and protective now. Anyhow, enjoy.

imag1135z.jpg

You can see some of the eggs through the males lower jaw membrane, in this pic.

imag11361.jpg

Got some bad news guys, woke up this morning and discovered that the male swallowed all the eggs. Their first attempt at breeding, the male wasn't in the mood and now their second attempt at breeding the male swallowed all his eggs. Guess I'll wait and see what happens the next time they breed. If it comes to it, I may decide to strip him of the eggs and put them into a mini egg tumbler.

Alright got another update on my channoides pair. The male is starting to get into his breeding colours, do just a matter of time until the female starts to get plump again.

imag115611.jpg

imag115711.jpg

Female isolating herself, she did this prior to the last time before getting plump with eggs.
imag115811.jpg

Alright, just another quick update. My female is slightly plump and my male is displaying bolder breeding colours. I give them another week, until we see some results. Enjoy.

imag11621.jpg

Females abdominal region getting plump
imag11661.jpg

imag11631.jpg

Getting my new Borneo mouth brooding betta shipment on Wednesday, 1 more pair of Betta.channoides, 1 pair of Betta.patoti, 1 pair of Betta.pallifina and 1 pair of Betta.unimaculata. All of which are wild caught, especially excited for the pallifina, patoti and unimaculata. Patoti can grow to the max size of 4.2" while pallifina and unimaculata can reach up to 5". Going to to be some massive bettas lol.

I soo want some pallifina.  LOL  They are the one wild I want that are almost impossible to find in the US.  I expect for them I will have to get my first fish from oversees.   I currently have 10 juvinille unimaculata ranging in size from about 1in to 3+ in.  They are adorable.  They will get closer to 6+ in when full grown if they are like their other complex member betta ocellata.  Can't wait to see pics of your new fish!!

Wildbetta said:
I soo want some pallifina.  LOL  They are the one wild I want that are almost impossible to find in the US.  I expect for them I will have to get my first fish from oversees.   I currently have 10 juvinille unimaculata ranging in size from about 1in to 3+ in.  They are adorable.  They will get closer to 6+ in when full grown if they are like their other complex member betta ocellata.  Can't wait to see pics of your new fish!!
That's awesome, hoping these new pairs will provide with a large amount of fry. Especially the pallifina, I'm also planning to get a Betta.antuta pair next month. You're luckier than me though, here in Canada people don't have to much if any knowledge at all about mouth brooding bettas, so buying them locally for me is almost impossible lol. I do know a exotic fish suppier in Montreal who does get pallifina, smaragdina, simplex and imbellis once in a while though. The one mouth brooding betta species I can't seem to get my hands on so far is B.macrostoma. Really want to get a Mac pair, but I just can't find a breeder who will ship to Canada or a local Canadian Mac breeder.

B.Macrostoma are difficult to come by even here in the states.  I had a pair but recently had an accident with a heater and ended up having to put them down since they ended up with columnaris resulting from stress and injury(I also lost my pair of Betta Pugnax and my single Betta Ocellata at the same time).  There are plenty of people who actually have this species but they are not avaliable widely in the trade because they are hard to get fry from.  The males swallow the majority of the time even though they spawn quite readily.  If I was willing to purchase 20 of them, a place here in the states could/would order in some Betta Pallifina but there is no way I need that many of them.  I have access to a lot of mouthbrooders here in the states with a bunch of people in the hobby here keeping them and selling fry or adults.

Just picked up my giant Borneo mouth brooding bettas. Very frustrated because 2 of my males are missing. I contacted the Canadian transhipper and he said he placed my missing male unimaculata into a different shipment box and forgot to take it out. So now I got to wait until Thursday until he comes back the GTA so I can pick my betta up. As for my missing new male channoides, I'm unsure what happend to him, as my transhipper says he only has one of my bettas with him. Gotta email the breeder in Jakarta to see if a shipping problem occurred on his end. Any how enjoy guys, as you can see these bettas are currently 3" in length, but the unimacs and pallifina grow up to 5" when fully matured. I'll post better pics of them once I've accimilated them into their community tank.

1 B.patoti pair (orange varient), 1 B.pallifina pair, and 1 female B.unimaculata
imag1188x.jpg

2 pics of my female B.patoti, the most active of the group. Guess she handled the shipping process well. My other specimens are a bit stressed and still sluggish.
imag1186.jpg

imag1187.jpg

Here's a quick pic I took of their tank, apologize blurry pic as the lighting in the room wasn't lit to well. You can see my orange patoti pair in the center of the tank and my male pallifina resting bottom left corner.

imag1194e.jpg

Alright guys, got another update, I did a water change for my channoides pair and they started breeding again. I'll check up on them tomorrow to see if the male is holding, then I'll give them their space for a few days.

Took these pics the morning after I received my pairs. I will add updated pics tomorrow.

imag1196p.jpg

imag1199m.jpg

imag1197ya.jpg

imag1198g.jpg

Updated pics of my completed channoides breeding group of 4.

New male and female
imag1203s.jpg

New male chilling with my new female (right) and dominant female (left).
imag1205w.jpg

Dominant male being lead away from new male, by my new female.
imag1204g.jpg

Dominant female sizing up the new girl. New female top, dominant female on the bottom.
imag1206o.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back