My Cat Drank Medicated Tank Water

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

silverrabbit

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I didn't know where this topic fitted really, so sorry if I got it wrong!

As the title says, had a goldie in quarantine with anti-internal bacteria med by Interpet (the med had been added 2 days ago). The fish died unfortunately, and I went off to dispose of Bugsy. When I got back like ten seconds later, my cat was drinking out of the tank :crazy:

So, the tank had medicine, Aqua plus AND dead fishyness in it. I mean, Simba seems fine, but do you think he'll be ok? Concerned cos that med has formaldehyde and methanol in it I think :shout:

*is worried*

I'm no expert but I think your cat will be fine, the amount your cat would have drunk in that short space of time will probably not have been enough to cause any serious problems.

I'd just keep an eye on him/her over next few days. If your cat goes out at night then it prob eats and drinks all sorts anyway lol

Andy

Thank you.

He's an old, lazy boy so he stays in most of the time so i'll keep a beady eye on him, lol. He drank lots of fresh water afterwards - i'm guessing the tank water didn't taste too good, haha.

If he's had lots of fresh water then he should be okay, but if he vomits then you should take him to the vet because it means he's had enough of the stuff to irritate his system. Usually when anyone or any animal swallows something that's bad for them, the advice is to give them as much water as possible to dilute the stuff and minimise the impact. He probably didn't drink much of it, it was dilute to begin with and if he's had plenty of water I'm sure he'll be fine.
My cat is revolting, I caught her drinking out of a bucket of brackish water the other day. Really brackish. Halfway to seawater. I went to fetch the hose to dilute it and came back to find her head stuck in the bucket. Nutter.
She's also drunk fish poo (gravel cleanings), Melafix and Ammo-lock with no ill effects.

I would imagine he should be fine. If you think about all the things he licks outside he probably has licked much worse. keep a close eye on him and if hes ill then take him to the vet.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back