My Cat Discovered My Tank.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

InaneCathode

Fishaholic
Reaction score
My cat has discovered my fishtank.
All he has done so far is sit infront of it and watch sammy davis my betta.
Sammy is watching the cat back...

Has anyone ever had a cat eat their fish or tip the tank over?
If my calculations are right, my tank weighs 80 pounds or somewhere around there... If my cat could tip that over i'd be impressed!

Not yet, my cat (Percy, the moggy) spends alot of time watching the fish, walking around on the glass lid and has never tried to put a paw in .......yet! there's a gap where the filter is that he could easily hook a fish through. I put something over it at night, just to be on the safe side.

He does the same thing with the small 10lt tank and again he hasn't tipped it over or anything yet and it only weighs around 10kg. I think you'd be pretty safe unless your cat weighs around 40kg!

What type of cat do you have? Our other cat Oliver is an Oriental, he couldn't give a rats about the fish and has no interest in them at all.

One of my cats Stewie was VERY interested in our 25gallon. He wouldn't be able to tip it, but his fatty butt would be able to break the glass up top if he got it into his head to jump up there. I don't think he's going to though. If he hasn't by now he most probably won't later on.
Now when my betta tank has my 2 in it, my cats might be interested in it. It's secure on my desk with no way of tipping though.. and there is a shelf pretty close to the top so they won't be able to get on it even if they wanted :D

Hes a cow cat :D black and white!

I think sammy is hiding from him, he's sitting on the bottom in the other corner. He's never done that before.

they will soon discover how warm the hoods are
cats.jpg

Haven't you guys seen the comedy reels on tv of cat after cat after cat fallin through hoods to splash around in the tank for about 1/3 of a second. Makes an awful mess. Those are all stock hoods as far as I've seen though. I wouldn't worry much about a hood like wolf's but something less substantial might fall in. The stock hood on my 20 gallon fits AWFUL. I absolutly had to replace it. I couldn't open the lid without the whole thing falling in the tank. What I'm saying is if you have a stock hood or something that you question whether or not it would hold up your fish you might want to take some precautions. Most aquarium lights (IMHE) ;) can handle a quick dip in water. Hell one of my lights sat outside (it's second hand) for god knows how long inside of a busted 55 gallon with about 4 inches of water in it. It was completely submerged for a LONG time and still works every time.

Well that turned into a ramble didn't it.

When i was kid, my dad used to have a big tank with many goldfish in, and we have a kitten as well. Because the tank was put directly on the floor, the kitten always walking around the tank, very interested in those goldfish. Gradually some fish died, so the tank is half filled. One nite when we were having dinner, the kitten screaming like crazy, we rushed out and found she is in the tank, she must be so brave and jump into that half filled tank :p but she is too young to learn swim.

Unlikely (impossible) that a cat will tip over an 80 pound tank. Not so unlikely that your cat will stick his paw in there and catch the fish if the tank has no lid. My other cat (the on in my avatar) did that to my prize betta :angry: I caught him in the act. Needless to say, I couldn't do anything before he sank his teeth into the poor fish :eek: lesson learnt with lids.

Here's my other one enjoying the heat.

100_0029c.jpg

I have a american rag doll that was caught beside my tank tryin to open the fish food!!! I have a krill/prawn freeze dried type, that he had that in his mouth. My cat and dog dont pay much attention to the fish. But for some reason he really likes the krill stuff. It gives off a really strong prawn smell. Which he must like

my cat wilson like really mike tank and sometimes just sit there and watch the fishes for hours ! he tries sometimes to touch the fish but there is glass beetwen :p . I dont think he will be a problem to my fishes and my tank

My cat Cream, LOVES the fish food. Wherever it is he will find it and open it so that it scatters all over the floor. Then he licks it and sniffs it for a while and walks away. I didn't think he'd hurt my fish but one day I came in my room and the ornaments were al tipped over. I put him in fron of the tank and he banged his paws on the tank. My bettas flare at him sometimes. But he loves the fish food more than the fish.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back