Cassiez

Reaction score
Hi,
Iā€™m really hoping someone can help please.

Iā€™ve had this bristlenose for just over a month. I previously posted to find out itā€™s gender but was told it in unhealthily skinny. After this I bought some bog wood for it, fed it pellets every 2 days and gave it a fresh piece of cucumber every week (did try zucchini/courgette but he didnā€™t go anywhere near it).

He now looks incredibly sick. Heā€™s lost all his colour (should be a blue eyed lemon bristlenose). And doesnā€™t seem to eat anything, although he looks bloated. This has been the case for over a week.

The water is perfect, Iā€™ve just tested it with liquid tests and all is how it should be. Heā€™s in a tank with a couple guppies and theyā€™re perfectly fine which also makes me think itā€™s not the water.

Can anyone help me please with any suggestions for whats wrong and what I could do to help the poor guy?

Thanks you in advance.
1331151B-BADF-49EA-8186-712DF7B44088.jpeg

More pictures and video showing it from different angles?

Is it normally pink around the belly?

What are the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH & GH levels in numbers?
The GH can be obtained from your water company's website or by telephoning them. If they can't help, take a glass full of tap water to a pet shop and ask them to test it for you. Write the results down in numbers when they do the test. And find out what the test results are measured in (eg' ppm, dGH or something else).

How long has the tank been set up for?
How often do you do water changes and how much do you change?
Do you dechlorinate the new water before adding it to the tank?
Do you gravel clean the substrate when you do the water changes?

What sort of filter is on the tank?
How often and how do you clean the filter?

Is there any algae on the glass or ornaments in the tank?

What other fish (besides guppies) are in the tank?
What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?

More pictures and video showing it from different angles?

Is it normally pink around the belly?

What are the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH & GH levels in numbers?
The GH can be obtained from your water company's website or by telephoning them. If they can't help, take a glass full of tap water to a pet shop and ask them to test it for you. Write the results down in numbers when they do the test. And find out what the test results are measured in (eg' ppm, dGH or something else).

How long has the tank been set up for?
How often do you do water changes and how much do you change?
Do you dechlorinate the new water before adding it to the tank?
Do you gravel clean the substrate when you do the water changes?

What sort of filter is on the tank?
How often and how do you clean the filter?

Is there any algae on the glass or ornaments in the tank?

What other fish (besides guppies) are in the tank?
What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?
Thank you for your response.

Iā€™ll try get more photos later but he hides all day. He only came out there because we was cleaning the tank.

Itā€™s not a water problem, I donā€™t think as it would affect the other fish too. Everything is pretty much perfect. Notrites 0, Nitrate 10, ammonia 0, PH is around 7.4. I did test KH and GH as have tests for them too but canā€™t remember the exact result. GH is spot on. KH is a tiny bit low but we spoke to a lfs about this and have something to up it, although they said it is only a tiny bit low and shouldnā€™t affect any fish we have.

Tank has been set up for over a year. Water change every week and take out about 20%. Yes, we clean the gravel. And we use tap safe.

Filter came with the tank which is around a 60ltr Juwel tank. Filter gets cleaned weekly too, not a massive clean but just squeeze the sponges in removed tank water.

I know the tank is too small for an adult bristlenose but heā€™s only small. I plan to have to rehome him when he gets too big. Basically bought him online as a female so planned to put him with my other male in my big tank but came as a male so have just had to put him in there until I have to rehome him.

Guppies are the only other fish. It was a species only guppy tank before he came. Thereā€™s only 2 in there though so isnā€™t overstocked.

And finally, heā€™s always had some red in him but not that much and he was much more lemon coloured when he arrived.

What exactly did it eat ?
Did he eat? When?

Heā€™s never been overly interested in the pellets but when he first came ate some. Since getting the wood, heā€™s shown zero interest in it, not even sitting on it or hiding on it. And he likes the cucumber but again seems to have gone off it over the last couple weeks.

Okay on first sight it looked like bloat by too much protein in its diet. The reddiah color point to an internal bacterial issue though.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back