My Brackish Tank (10/12)

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

ChrissFishes01

Reaction score
I set up my camera lighting on my brackish tank tonight and got some cool pics, I think.

Molly 1 JPG.jpg

Puffer 1 JPG.jpg

This next one I cropped out of a large photo that was taken at full zoom about 6" away from the glass:
BBG 1.JPG

I then cropped that down to this, and managed to retain quite a bit of detail:
BBG 1 Close-up.jpg

Always happy when things work out so nice!

Is that a pea puffer?
is it safe to mix with other fish?
I saw these in a local store last weekend.
Nah, pea puffers are freshwater and are pretty aggressive. Much better in species-only tanks. Here's mine:
DP 1 JPEG.jpg

DP 2 JPG.jpg

The guy in this tank is a Figure 8 Puffer - needs brackish water, and has a temperament that varies pretty wildly by individual. This one happens to very relaxed and gentle - not all of them are so nice!

How is the fig with the bumblebee gobies? I thought they were agressive
All puffers should be considered aggressive - even stuff like South American Puffers. They all nip and are territorial to some extent.

Figure 8's vary by individual - this guy has been with everything from fancy guppies (and their fry) to Limia Nigrofasciatus to the BBGs and has never nipped, as far as I know. He's very timid and gentle. Other F8's can be a little more ornery, so it's luck of the draw.

Here's a picture of the balloon mollies and platies he was with when I first got him - note the long fins. Never had a problem.

Didn't bother the guppies, either:

Never seen those before! So brackish fish require different conditions? And can't be mixed with ther fish?
Yeah, brackish fish need some marine salt in their water - just not as much as saltwater fish do. As far as compatibility, it really just depends on which species. You can't mix them with freshwater fish - generally, the lack of salt causes disease/organ failure in brackish animals, and salt will kill freshwater animals in high enough levels.

Reactions: CRS

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back