My Bleheri And Pulchra

simonas

stuck between a rock and a fish tank
Fish of the Month 🌟
Joined
May 4, 2004
Messages
6,671
Reaction score
438
Points
83
Location
Wirral UK
great fish these channas, the colours on the Bleheri are great now with a bit of luck as they grow they will get even better

the pulchra are growing so fast and its a pity all siz will not live together as they get older as they have sch character as a group

234.jpg

229.jpg

228.jpg

226.jpg

225.jpg

222.jpg

221.jpg
 
They look like "Assam's" not "Bleheri" in your photos dude, well except for ya Pulchra :)

Can you get a closer photo of them, especially the tail?

Cheers, Karl
 
They look like "Assam's" not "Bleheri" in your photos dude, well except for ya Pulchra :)

Can you get a closer photo of them, especially the tail?

Cheers, Karl

your joking!! lol I travelled to BAS last week to get them and they were advertised as Bleheri. whats the difference Karl? I'll get better pic tonight
 
The big giveaway is the tail colours, in the Assam's they are blue striped like the ones in your photos, the Bleheri have orange patches in their tail colour.
They are often mis-identified when they are very young.



BLEHERI
13459080.Channableheri01m.jpg



ASSAM
assam1qr0.jpg


Cheers, Karl
 
cheers Karl

looking at them in my tank they seem to be assams if the tail is the giveaway. They are set up for Bleheri's. do I need to change anything or leave ema as they are?

do assams get as colourful when fully grown and are they tank breedable like Bleheri?

I travelled to BAS for Bleheri as well cos I was after them specifically !! bugger
 
Agreed, definatly Assam. Dorsal fin is a giveaway aswell. Assams have a plain blue-brown dorsal, Bleheri have a patterned dorsal and tail.

There is naff all difference in the keeping and breeding of Assam and Bleheri. Assams are a little smaller and have a lot more strong blue colouring to the dorsal and anal fin, They were and sometimes are sold as 'Blue Bleheri'.
 
Agreed, definatly Assam. Dorsal fin is a giveaway aswell. Assams have a plain blue-brown dorsal, Bleheri have a patterned dorsal and tail.

There is naff all difference in the keeping and breeding of Assam and Bleheri. Assams are a little smaller and have a lot more strong blue colouring to the dorsal and anal fin, They were and sometimes are sold as 'Blue Bleheri'.

cheers Jelly

I believe they are assams as a result of their location in India? they lookgood anyway and ARE FATTENING UP ALREADY. I was a bit concerned at hjow skinny they were when I bought them but the four are on their own in a tank and coming on well

you have an impressive list of channas yourself Jelly. any luck in breeding them?
 
Agree with Jelly above, also just so everyone knows it's that bugger that introduced me to Channa's, now I'm addicted. :P
 
Agreed, definatly Assam. Dorsal fin is a giveaway aswell. Assams have a plain blue-brown dorsal, Bleheri have a patterned dorsal and tail.

There is naff all difference in the keeping and breeding of Assam and Bleheri. Assams are a little smaller and have a lot more strong blue colouring to the dorsal and anal fin, They were and sometimes are sold as 'Blue Bleheri'.

cheers Jelly

I believe they are assams as a result of their location in India? they lookgood anyway and ARE FATTENING UP ALREADY. I was a bit concerned at hjow skinny they were when I bought them but the four are on their own in a tank and coming on well

you have an impressive list of channas yourself Jelly. any luck in breeding them?

Thanks

I have had no luck breeding yet as I have always tended to go for a single pet rather than a breeding project. Things have changed a little bit now. I have potentially Assam's although I think all mine are males. Ornatippinis but again probaply all male although one may be a female. I have two large female Aurantimaculata and a much smaller male on the way. I am sure the day will come some time. I plan to get a group of Panaw to have a go with aswell.

Agree with Jelly above, also just so everyone knows it's that bugger that introduced me to Channa's, now I'm addicted. :P

And to think in the past you couldn't see what all the fuss was about. You do have some very nice Snakeheads now.
 
hi, just reading through, saw you mention the assams, acquired from bas. I got 4 from there, only have 3 now due to a great escape act through the night, problem since been amended, any way, i bought them from bas as blue bleheri (assams) so i couldn't understand why they were sold as channa bleheri. Mine were too quite skinny at first. They are stil small at about 4 inch feeding well on chunks of lance fish and bloodworm, and have fattened up nicely. I too was originally looking for channa bleheri, unsuccessful in my search i settled for the assams and are pleased so far, i am hoping to extend my groum to 6 in a coule of weeks with another trip to bas. I have the intent of breeding them when they are ready so hopefully il have a male and female in that will pair up!
 
hi, just reading through, saw you mention the assams, acquired from bas. I got 4 from there, only have 3 now due to a great escape act through the night, problem since been amended, any way, i bought them from bas as blue bleheri (assams) so i couldn't understand why they were sold as channa bleheri. Mine were too quite skinny at first. They are stil small at about 4 inch feeding well on chunks of lance fish and bloodworm, and have fattened up nicely. I too was originally looking for channa bleheri, unsuccessful in my search i settled for the assams and are pleased so far, i am hoping to extend my groum to 6 in a coule of weeks with another trip to bas. I have the intent of breeding them when they are ready so hopefully il have a male and female in that will pair up!

Its a cracking shop. I got them on y visit there. I wouldn;t mind a couple more myself as the tank they are in is very bare. they are not as active as the orientalis and Pulchra tanks I have

good luck wit hthe breeding
 
hi, just reading through, saw you mention the assams, acquired from bas. I got 4 from there, only have 3 now due to a great escape act through the night, problem since been amended, any way, i bought them from bas as blue bleheri (assams) so i couldn't understand why they were sold as channa bleheri. Mine were too quite skinny at first. They are stil small at about 4 inch feeding well on chunks of lance fish and bloodworm, and have fattened up nicely. I too was originally looking for channa bleheri, unsuccessful in my search i settled for the assams and are pleased so far, i am hoping to extend my groum to 6 in a coule of weeks with another trip to bas. I have the intent of breeding them when they are ready so hopefully il have a male and female in that will pair up!

Its a cracking shop. I got them on y visit there. I wouldn;t mind a couple more myself as the tank they are in is very bare. they are not as active as the orientalis and Pulchra tanks I have

good luck wit hthe breeding
 
I went and got some more assams, the last 3 at bas. They were again very skinny, especially in comparison to the original ones, which were from the exact same batch. They got picked on at first, settling in nicely now with the odd nip. Putting on weight now. One of the original ones is a good inch longer and much broader than the rest, im pretty sure its a female because of its size and colouration, also from a birds eye view its jaw line looks not to be wide enough to be a male. It spends its time underneith plants in the back corner of my tank with another assam, mabe its a male! (hopefully):-)
 
I went and got some more assams, the last 3 at bas. They were again very skinny, especially in comparison to the original ones, which were from the exact same batch. They got picked on at first, settling in nicely now with the odd nip. Putting on weight now. One of the original ones is a good inch longer and much broader than the rest, im pretty sure its a female because of its size and colouration, also from a birds eye view its jaw line looks not to be wide enough to be a male. It spends its time underneith plants in the back corner of my tank with another assam, mabe its a male! (hopefully):-)

Hi Dave

I just posted on your other thread. I'm going to advertise mine on Aquarist Classifieds. I'm not a huge fan of mine. I've got Pulchra in another tank which are great and I love my Orientalis in another. BAS is a great shop :good:
 

Most reactions

Back
Top