My bichir keeps attaching my gourami

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Maryjaeee

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello,
This has been happening for a few days now. Heā€™ll follow him around with his head on his side .. sometimes goin to his head. Itā€™s only the gourami heā€™s doin this to. Iā€™m worried he might try to attack him. Im not sure why heā€™s only pickin on him either. Only thing Iā€™ve noticed is my gourami is blind in one eye now .. when you look inside the iris you can see inside his head. Pretty crazy actually . Is my gourami sick as well? Thank you for any answers , I have no idea what I should do besides set up a whole new tank .

Attachments

• 55E0D481-54A3-4C6C-969E-52789105DD1C.png
    55E0D481-54A3-4C6C-969E-52789105DD1C.png
    239.9 KB · Views: 67
  • 9275B0E3-D96D-40A5-A679-76F70564CDDD.png
    9275B0E3-D96D-40A5-A679-76F70564CDDD.png
    289.3 KB · Views: 59
You need to set up a whole new tank. The aggression will continue.
What size is the tank? What do you feed them?

Agree. These species cannot (should not) be combined, this is only asking for something like this, and it will worsen until the targeted fish are no longer there. Sorry, but one has to be clear when giving advice.

The gourami also needs floating plants, it spends its life among tangled roots of floating or marginal vegetation. And in a tank without active fish.

You need to set up a whole new tank. The aggression will continue.
What size is the tank? What do you feed them?
60 gallon.
I feed them tropical flakes , blood worms
Then the bichir is frozen brine shrimp & beef heart

Agree. These species cannot (should not) be combined, this is only asking for something like this, and it will worsen until the targeted fish are no longer there. Sorry, but one has to be clear when giving advice.

The gourami also needs floating plants, it spends its life among tangled roots of floating or marginal vegetation. And in a tank without active fish.
Ok, well I donā€™t think I could set up the other tank. Thereā€™s just no room at all in our house & I canā€™t put it in the garage cos I live in AZ . Iā€™ll try finding some floating plants and see if thatā€™s helps, Thank you

You'll probably have to rehome one or the other, it's cruel to keep them together in my opinion

Agree, floating plants will not solve the aggression, but if the bichir is removed, floating plants will significantly calm the gourami. One or the other fish must be removed, perhaps to the store, or another aquarist.

Ok, theyā€™ve been in the same tank for over 3 years with no issues. I have a few leafs / broken plants floating around the tank now. Itā€™s not happening as often but Iā€™m gonna take the gourami to the fish store :/ I was just hoping there was another way . Thanks for the advice guys!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back