My betta...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Rocky998

Kinda crazy, but somehow they let me stay
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
In loving memory of my late betta fish, comet... I will have a picture below for you all to see. I got this guy at my local pet shop and I had my tank set up and I forgot to cycle it... Beginner's mistake. I though he was doing good but he started to get white spots so me and my family rushed to the store and got some ich cure and tried my best but sadly it wasnt enough and he died (hopefully peacefully) so I stayed away from fish keeping for a long time but I did a lot more research and I'm gonna try again. I do miss comet at times. When I came up to the tank he'd start swimming around and come up to me... But hopefully this time I can keep that going.
0427201729.jpg

Last edited:
dying from poisoning and ich is anything but peaceful. sorry, but i feel like it had to be said. at least you know now - most people will either try again and make the same mistake or give up completely.

dying from poisoning and ich is anything but peaceful. sorry, but i feel like it had to be said. at least you know now - most people will either try again and make the same mistake or give up completely.
It was a very horrible thing to go through, certainly not through deliberate negligence…lfs that tell you to run the filter are at fault and I wish they could be held accountable for giving incorrect advice.

It was a very horrible thing to go through, certainly not through deliberate negligence…lfs that tell you to run the filter are at fault and I wish they could be held accountable for giving incorrect advice.
I feel horrible my betta had to live through that... Luckily I'm trying again amd I have a whole cycling system to absolutely perfect my tank

I made the same mistake with my first betta. It's a steep learning curve, but once you know the basics you can really enjoy your betta. Just cycle your tank and make sure you test your water and you can enjoy a beautiful betta with personality for years!

I made the same mistake with my first betta. It's a steep learning curve, but once you know the basics you can really enjoy your betta. Just cycle your tank and make sure you test your water and you can enjoy a beautiful betta with personality for years!
Very true. I'm hoping to start a community tank this time and cycle it before adding anything. This tank will also have live plants. Do you think a betta can live with cories?

@Rocky998, no, Betta are solitary fish. @Byron has a very detailed explanation of this, see the thead called, ”Mixing a Betta with guppies”…

Here is the link to that thread, it is post #6.

I've kept bettas in community tanks with no issues, it just depends on the betta, they all have different temperaments, IME

That being said, in most cases, and especially with beginning fishkeepers, I recommend keeping bettas alone in their own tank.

20 gallon high with an aquaclear 30 and I was just getting on to ask about substrates lol. I was wondering whether or not I should use seachem flourite black or carib sea eco complete... I plan on having a nice planted aquarium...
What size is the tank, and what is the substrate?

20 gallon high with an aquaclear 30 and I was just getting on to ask about substrates lol. I was wondering whether or not I should use seachem flourite black or carib sea eco complete... I plan on having a nice planted aquarium...
eco complete is far too rough for corydoras
it's the same size as the smooth gravel that you find in big-box stores (which i wouldn't use for corys either), only with sharp edges.

Don't use either, both are a waste of money. I was talked into using Flourite in my 70g some years back, and it nearly killed my cories within a matter of days. I moved them to a tank with play sand and fortunately they recovered, though one panda still has a third of its lower mouth missing, but it did heal. After a further two years, the plant growth was disappointing and I tore the tank down and dumped the Flourite in a corner of the back garden. Plants will grow just as well in inert play sand, with substrate fertilizer tabs for large plants.

Most reactions

trending

Back