my bala jumped out

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Angel Lady

Pet of the Month Leader
Reaction score
I was so proud of him and the dummy killed his self what makes a fish jump out of the tank like that for that now makes 2 of my fish that has done that

:-( :crazy: Sorry about that fish keeper! Perhaps something's stressed them out? I only had a red tailed shark for 2 weeks n it'd been harrassing other fishies so perhaps ur sharks started fighting each other?

he was mean but he had been in that tank for over three months I heard something hit the lights on the tank last nite I thought it was the cat jumping around up there but now I know what it was it was my bala I have three and that one out growed the other 2 and he was getting mean towards the 2 smaller ones so I moved him and this is what I get him jumping out on me.

are you keeping them in your 20 gallon if so this is to small
= the reason most prob why he died

things like bala sharks grow to 14-16 inches long thatsover a foot
now guessing if there in 20 gallons that can only be 2ft 3ft long

meaning if its 1ft long ..it will leave the bala 1 ft
when they grow if they dont have enough room they can become stressed
and actualy bang there head on the side of your tank ...sumtimes knocking them out =drowning

i dont mean to be rude but even if there in your 55 gallon still way to small for them

you need around 75-100 galllon atleast for a bala

lil info on a bala shrk

Temperament: Peaceful. Can even be kept with small fish such as Tetras despite its size. Highly recommened for larger community tanks.
Diet: Carnivore

Potential Size: 35cm (13.8") 1ft 2"

Comments: A favourite in the trade. The Silver Shark is very placid for a fish for its size, it can even be kept with small fish like Neons. The Silver Shark grows slowly, reacing 20cm in two and a half to three years

another BAD BAD FACT IS the bala shark is a shark and from the sea
so they jump and man they jump

Care: Feed with flakes or worms. Large tanks are recommended. Easy to keep. Cover the tank as Silver Sharks can jump up to six feet in the air.

you would need a very big tank to keep 1 HAPPy!!

fish&chips said:
another BAD BAD FACT IS the bala shark is a shark and from the sea
so they jump and man they jump
Hold on ! where on earth did you get that idea ? Balas are a FW fish, placing them into seawater would kill them very quickly !
I will agree though that they are terrific jumpers and if there is even the slightest gap in the tank hood they will find it eventually.

Sorry about your bala FKS&M, BTW when are you going to transfer those fish into your bigger tanks ?

i moved what are left over 3 days ago I didnt know that they was a gap in that tank but I did find it after it was to late. I sure did love that little devil. I cant believe that he jumped out. I will fix my signature today sometimes I just havent had time. Thanks for the advice fish&chips but balas do not come from the sea I am well aware of how they can jump I just didnt think they were a place for him to escape on me it is a new tank to me anyway I thought I had it covered.

cfc from website

maybe not the sea ..but large rivers ? lakes

1 site did say the sea is that wrong then ill try finding you the link

sowwy if got it wrong cfc but every thing else seem to be spot on yes ?

fish keeper sharks and mollies said:
I was so proud of him and the dummy killed his self what makes a fish jump out of the tank like that for that now makes 2 of my fish that has done that
Im sure a lid would help

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back