My assassin snail population has tripled, is this a problem?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Irksome

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I had no idea that my original trio had been reproducing successfully. I now have at least 6 baby ones. The only food they get is algae wafers which they seem to like, all pest snails have been eradicated for a year. So far my three nerites have been undamaged by them. Can I slow the breeding? The tank is small and already pushing it’s stocking limits and my other tanks all have fancy ramshorns in, the assassins favourite food.

I had no idea that my original trio had been reproducing successfully. I now have at least 6 baby ones. The only food they get is algae wafers which they seem to like, all pest snails have been eradicated for a year. So far my three nerites have been undamaged by them. Can I slow the breeding? The tank is small and already pushing it’s stocking limits and my other tanks all have fancy ramshorns in, the assassins favourite food.
you could put them out for adoption at your lfs or sell them, that is really funny, having a pest snail problem and now an assasin snail problem lol

If the tank is already pushing stocking limits, waste building up can be a cause for a spike in population. Keeping the tank clean and being wary of excess food will help control the population.

If the tank is already pushing stocking limits, waste building up can be a cause for a spike in population. Keeping the tank clean and being wary of excess food will help control the population.
yes meaning you might have to control some of the pest snails yourself.

I guessed (wrongly) that they would need a supply of protein to reproduce successfully. The only food going into the tank is 1/2 - 1 algae wafers every 2 or 3 days. I suppose I could cut back on that, the endlers don’t seem to need much.

I guessed (wrongly) that they would need a supply of protein to reproduce successfully. The only food going into the tank is 1/2 - 1 algae wafers every 2 or 3 days. I suppose I could cut back on that, the endlers don’t seem to need much.
YES, They will die naturally and you wont have any more pest snails, maybe donate to a lfs?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back