My Assasin Snails

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

marnold00

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hey :)

So i obtained 2 assassin snails after i spotted some pond snails which have got into my tank. I removed the pond snails but knew thered be others.

I trust my assassins (Gary and Turbo) to do their job, but do i need to feed them too? If so, then what, how and how often?

Love these two guys :) very pretty snails.

Your assassins will thrive off the pest snails until the population is gone. My assassin colony had wiped out the pest snails, then started eating plant matter and uneaten food. They're still breeding, though at a slower pace.

Your assassins will thrive off the pest snails until the population is gone. My assassin colony had wiped out the pest snails, then started eating plant matter and uneaten food. They're still breeding, though at a slower pace.

Thats unusual that you had assassins eating plant matter. My assassins seemed never to touch plants other than perhaps eating algae or micronutrients off the plant leave surface.

But yes, the number one choice for assassins is generally any pest snails you can add to the tank. But sinking algae wafers, meaty type of sinking wafers types of foods will feed your assassins.

I started with 2 or 4, and now have given away a number of them as well as having at least 10 - 15 odd n the tank at any one time. In fact, one of my tanks i have just set up, theres an assassin in there, mind boggles as to how he got in there.......

BTW one really cool thing about assassin snails, they lay square eggs :) (no joke)

Here is a pic of one of my square assassin eggs which was laid on the tank glass -

Okay its not truly square, the sac is square but still.... :p

Assassin Snail Egg.png

Sorry, I only suspect they're eating plant matter. I should have included that.

Ok soooo ive had them a day and a half and theyre already doing the dirty. I thought one was eating the other but no. Google confirmed. So either turbo or gary is a she.... Turbo is a unisex name right? xD they seemnto be cuddling. Will be interesting to see how long they stay like that. Ive read it could be days. Fascinating creatures.

Your snails will be fine eating leftover fish food, But other snails are better.

I feed my assassins Malaysian Trumpet snails, You should have seen my LFS owners face when I offered to pay him to get about 50 MTS.

IMO there is no such thing as pest snails, Other than being food for Clown Loaches and Assassin snails ( not kept in the same tank ) MTS are beneficial to a planted tank.

They love my catfish pellets... If i see no more pond snails ill just place a pellet next to each one of them

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back