Video My Angelfish Breeding! - For The Second Time In 3 Days! :d

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Metka

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Two of my larger angelfish are laying eggs for the second time in 3 days. The first batch was eaten by the parents, must of been a bad batch. Lets hope this second lot survive abit longer!
biggrin.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_wtPH3G7RQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Sorry for the poor quality, I had to sit back and zoom with the camera. Everytime I got close she got spooked and stopped laying.

I'll grab some pics as we progress!

congrats! and i must say the male looks beast with his red eyes ha

I forgot about this topic - The parents ditched the eggs, decided they weren't going to raise them and ate them all.
Since then I have moved the parents to their own tank, and they have now laid another batch!

This evening @ about 22:00 GMT will be the 48 hour mark, so any that aren't white and dudd I can assume are fertilised and should be sprouting little wiggly tails within the next couple of days.

I'll try and grab some pics for you :D

The parents constantly keep laying, every week or so, but the eggs never survive past 48 hours. I'm going to seperate the male and female soon, condition them both up then try again. If it doesn't work, them I'll try and intervene by moving the eggs to a quarantined tank and try my hand at raising them myself.

Yeah my two never made it past 48 hours. Too tasty I think! Only laid once, hoping when I do another water change this week it'll encourage them to spawn again. Been a week so far and not laid again :(

How old are the angels? Often its just a case of them still 'learning' good parenting techniques.
I'd say give them at least 10 spawns before you interviene, then if they still eat them try then. :)

Good luck!

I cant say exactly as I bought them when they were "XXL" in the LFS. If going by the size of some of my baby angels is anything to go by, I'd hesitate a guess at around 1.5 - 2 years old.

As far as I'm aware this is their 5th or 6th spawn, I don't want to intervene too much but from what i've been reading online sometimes just abit of manual intervention is a good thing - seperate them for a while.
I have 7 angels in total, so maybe removing the male would cause the female to pair off with another male who may actually know what he's doing.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back