MY 55 gal rebuild

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

DAnCSF

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I had a center bar failure, after a repair I converted the tank into an aquarium/terrarium combo. Following discovery of Paludariums I gave thought to whole hogging it and going that route....but common sense dictated a simpler approach as a first try. A good thing too, as I soon became a regular to the TAP plastics store, LOL. I any event I ended up with an 18 g aquarium portion by quartering the tank. The terrarium is sectioned off by placing a divider from the front right corner diagonally to the halfway point on the back of the tank. I then added a second divider to the terrarium side to create a second level. So far so good, my questionable gardening skills haven't yet killed off my plants. The fish in the aquarium are still alive and the water quality numbers are decent. The tank has 5 penguin rasboras, 5 harlequin rasboras, about dozen small guppies growing out, a BN Pleco, and 2 small cories. Here's a pic, comments and questions welcomed and encouraged.

TFF_55g_PrePost.jpg

Looks cool! So the second picture is the max level for water, due to the center bar being faulty?

Looks cool! So the second picture is the max level for water, due to the center bar being faulty?
Yup...the center fractured and broke. I used a 24 inch gripper bar to squeeze the front and back glass together. That enabled me to cement the center bar back together as well as using acrylic bars to support the center. That being said I don't trust the repairs against fully loading the tank with water. 55 gals of H2O is a lot of outward force on the glass. hence only 18 gals of water.

And course now that I got the 55 done...I've an itch to try the same thing with a 40 gal breeder tank...of course I have to first find the space in my man cave/fish-storage-guest room.... LOL

And speaking /dreaming of which how cool would it be to add to the 40 breeder/terrarium a miniature snake or tree frogs...is there any such thing as an easy to care for "miniature" snake say adult size of 10 inches or so....LOL

And speaking /dreaming of which how cool would it be to add to the 40 breeder/terrarium a miniature snake or tree frogs...is there any such thing as an easy to care for "miniature" snake say adult size of 10 inches or so....LOL
That would be super cool. :cool:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back