My 40 Gallon

Just going to bump this thread back the dead, its about 5-6 weeks since i posted last, just 2 pics to show this time round, the first picture is taken about 3 weeks ago, the second picture is taken tonight after i have removed the Pogostemon stellata and the Cardamine lyrata (both at the back left side in the first pic) in their place i have planted Rotala rotundifolia and Didiplis diandra, both of these are relatively fast growers so should fill in pretty quick, i feel whilst the tank looks good as in first pic i posted tonight i want to try and add some colour to the tank and hopefully i can achieve that with the additions i have made tonight.

Other changes i have made over the last few weeks include removing the Bacopa australis from the front of the large pieces of driftwood and adding the narrow leaf fern instead, i think it looks better, i gave the moss a serious haircut, the HC is now easily an inch thick and will require a haircut pretty soon, i also added some Pogostemon helferi to the front of the upright pieces of wood, behind the large pieces of driftwood i have some Cyperus helferi growing, but this has to be up their with the slowest growing plants in the world because you cannot even see it yet although it is planted over a month at this stage.

Anyway thats all for now i will post some more pics as the rotala and diandra grow out some more and hopefully show some colour for me.

IMG_0234.jpg

This is the pic taken tonight, there is a lot of debris floating around the tank as i just uprooted some plants and then unwisely decided now is a good time for a shot :#

Tankapr09.jpg

Wow, zig, the HC has filled out quite a bit! I like the additions, seems like Rotala is gettting very popular these days, you're not the first to add it recently. It's a great plant, I hope you enjoy it.

A wonderful display of health, aquascaping skills and overall an excellent example of what a planted tank can and should look like.

Well done mate!

Looking good :) Im very jelous of your HC, looks very lush and green. When you say give it a 'haircut' how short do you cut it back to? I see Justin Law keeps his very low, with not much growing over itself? Do you let it form quite a thick carpet? say 1/2 to 1 inch deep? Like is done with glosso?

HM looking good too. Where did you place the two new additions you did that thread about?

Thanks guys, yeah its not looking bad im pleased enough with it, although a dash of colour would finish it off i think, but always room for improvement, all suggestions welcome, i will let the new additions grow out and then i might finish with this setup and try something else in this tank, but i will give it another month or six weeks or so before i do that. I might totally strip down the tank by removing all the plants and clean the substrate and start over, this tank is set up nearly a year at this stage (be over a year by the time im finished with this layout) and its a good idea to really clean the substrate every year or so by doing a total stripdown, it can stop a planted tank from going sour and should reduce algae problems, according to our friend Tom Barr, so thats probably what i will do.

Sam..........the tank that Justin Law presented was probably at its optimum when he photographed it, i would say if he photographed it today the HC would probably be overgrown especially on his rockwork, but thats easier to do when you only have a single plant species in a tank like he had, its a bit harder when you have to balance lots of different growth rates with many different plant species in the same setup, but it also helps if you dont change things halfway through either like i have :fun: i will just give it a trim like a haircut to about half its current height, it will grow back again so there is no problem, you just need light to reach the lower sections or they will begin to die off and then you would have to replant the whole lot, by trimming it now and again you can prolong the day when you will need to replant the whole lot.

The new additions you cant see in the shot they are behind the row of Ludwigia arcuata on the left hand side, i will use them as background plants where they can grow tall and nearer the light to help the colouring process, thats the plan anyway.

Thanks for looking everyone.

Just going to bump this thread back the dead, its about 5-6 weeks since i posted last, just 2 pics to show this time round, the first picture is taken about 3 weeks ago, the second picture is taken tonight after i have removed the Pogostemon stellata and the Cardamine lyrata (both at the back left side in the first pic) in their place i have planted Rotala rotundifolia and Didiplis diandra, both of these are relatively fast growers so should fill in pretty quick, i feel whilst the tank looks good as in first pic i posted tonight i want to try and add some colour to the tank and hopefully i can achieve that with the additions i have made tonight.

Other changes i have made over the last few weeks include removing the Bacopa australis from the front of the large pieces of driftwood and adding the narrow leaf fern instead, i think it looks better, i gave the moss a serious haircut, the HC is now easily an inch thick and will require a haircut pretty soon, i also added some Pogostemon helferi to the front of the upright pieces of wood, behind the large pieces of driftwood i have some Cyperus helferi growing, but this has to be up their with the slowest growing plants in the world because you cannot even see it yet although it is planted over a month at this stage.

Anyway thats all for now i will post some more pics as the rotala and diandra grow out some more and hopefully show some colour for me.

IMG_0234.jpg

This is the pic taken tonight, there is a lot of debris floating around the tank as i just uprooted some plants and then unwisely decided now is a good time for a shot :#

Tankapr09.jpg

That is the best fish tank ive ever seen! WELL DONE!

what lighting do you have in there?

.......and its a good idea to really clean the substrate every year or so by doing a total stripdown, it can stop a planted tank from going sour and should reduce algae problems.....
This is very true IME too. I swapped my substrate twice in three years, each time the tank got better after each change and I noticed a slow decline in general health over each year.

It's actually one "advantage" of a slowly dissolving substrate like ADA Aqua Soil, it's past its best after one year or so and therefore needs changing. Obvious disadvantage is the expense.

So will you change the existing substrate or just clean it up (maybe add some more laterite)?

Qays, the tank is lit by 2x55watt power compacts giving me 2.75WPG, the tank is not that long in length so i can get away with this, they give me enough coverage, the lighting period is 10 hours per day, thanks for the nice comment.

gf.....not really sure about the substrate tbh i will see how flush i am at the time, i might just clean it and add more laterite, i have a lot of laterite to spare stored away, i sort of like the substrate it has a good weight obviously and the gravel size is spot on, i have grown HC, glosso, and grass type carpets and a wide veriety of plants with no issues that i could blame on the substrate, so in that way it has served me well, if i could buy ADA aquasoil locally i would probably go for it but the cost of importing it may be prohibitive, so i might just stick with what i have for now, but nearer the time i might think harder about it.

Qays, the tank is lit by 2x55watt power compacts giving me 2.75WPG, the tank is not that long in length so i can get away with this, they give me enough coverage, the lighting period is 10 hours per day, thanks for the nice comment.

gf.....not really sure about the substrate tbh i will see how flush i am at the time, i might just clean it and add more laterite, i have a lot of laterite to spare stored away, i sort of like the substrate it has a good weight obviously and the gravel size is spot on, i have grown HC, glosso, and grass type carpets and a wide veriety of plants with no issues that i could blame on the substrate, so in that way it has served me well, if i could buy ADA aquasoil locally i would probably go for it but the cost of importing it may be prohibitive, so i might just stick with what i have for now, but nearer the time i might think harder about it.
Its looking great Zig. Can you take some pics from other angles and let us feast our eyes on it, please?

Wow, didnt see this thread.
That tank is amazing, i love the pieces of bogwood, they compliment the planting very well, or it could be the other way around but it still looks amazing.

Most reactions

Back