My 385L Malawi Tank

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

i wouldnt say it was overkill . it doesnt really matter how you arrange the media imo. 1 of my 2217s is exactly as it comes out of the box with the sponges and floss . the other 1 has a sponge in the bottom then bioballs then a sponge and floss on the top . the only reason i used bioballs in the 2nd filter is that it was a replacement for my old 2028 and i wanted to "instantly cycle" it rather than seed it etc so i just filled it with all the mature media from the 2028 , which just happened to be bioballs :good: but thats the beauty of the single chamber design of the classic range , you can use pretty much any media you want in any arrangement .

update: been realy busy with the house and havent had much time to work on the wall to support the time, finaly i got a few hours this afternoon to get started on the frame to support the tank and spread the weight. i think the tank is going to look amazing and im realy glad we decided to mount it in the wall. my only worry is condensation, i may have to wire in a fan to take any moisture out of the cupboard behind the tank, heres a photo
tank22.jpg

should look great when its finished , what do you plan on cladding the front with?

it will be cladded with plasterboard,then tapped and filled. and then i will fit a sorround/border around it to hide the gap were the tank meets the plasterboard.

are you not worried about possible condensation / moisture inside? have you considered using moisture resistant mdf?

yehs, as i said above i am abit worried about condensation. i will use bathroom plasterboard like i used in my wet room which is water resistant. then if i notice alot of condensation in there then i will wire up an extractor fan. im hoping this is going to work because alot of time and money is going into it.

ordered some ammonia from boots ready for the fishless cycle, also looking at possibly selling my fluval e300 and getting a hydor external heater, would keep the tank nice and tidy and hopefully heat the water more evenly

update: the frame is now complete and has also been plasterboarded on the outside, i will line the inside with bathroom rated plasterboard, and i will built a hood around the back of the tank with water resistant mdf and a dehumidifier to stop moisture spreading around the cupboard.
also sold my fluval e300 and bought a hydor 300w external heater

good stuff . this should make a real nice display once its finished :good: just a thought after looking at the photo . bearing in mind that once filled with water , sand , rocks etc youre going to have not far shy of half a ton , i think id put supporting legs along the rear of that shelf as well as the front .

mark i will have some more photos for you in a few days, in the picture it was incomplete, it now has 6x2 along the floor with a further 4 supporting legs at the back, then moisture resistant mdf. i cant wait to get the tank in and start working on my layout and start cycling. eheim 2217 arrived today, got to love the simplicity of it and the quality

external heater, ammonia and some more filter media arrived today. just need to get the place painted and then get the tank in and start cycleing. pictures of the wall almost ready for tank to come

decorators are in and estimated completion date is wednesday. i will then get the tank fitted in and pumps set up. can anyone recomend a nice maerial to make a border round the tank with to cover to small gap i left for fitting? im thinking either oak or a gloss black finish

went up to the house today to clean up and take some pictures but ended up having a very bad diabetes episode and had to be taken away. its made me feel very tired and ill. i will try get pics tommorow

Most reactions

Back