My 200L Journal

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Yay! Updates.

...and here they are

P1010492.JPG

Not a huge change since last month but the Mayaca Fluviatilis is growing. I've added some Dwarf Sag in the foreground and some Rotala back right. I originally thought the Rotala was Bacopa but after seeing it take off in my other tank the submersed form looks a lot more like Rotala rotundifolia. The Xmas moss is doing really well as always, as is the Java Fern.

P1010528.JPG

The token angled shot.

P1010500.JPG

And this guy is looking a lot better :good:

I'm still planning on adding a fair few more plants to this tank. I want dark Crypts and I'm really liking people's Tiger Lotus's at the moment but the local shops don't tend to get anything that interesting in. Will have to shop online I think.

Thanks for looking, comments/suggestions/abuse appreciated as always.

both 18000k!! thats almost marine colour...still looks great though mate. :good:

both 18000k!! thats almost marine colour...still looks great though mate. :good:

Cheers Ian.

Yeah, I get a bit confused when people talk about Kelvin and all that stuff. Fluval Romas come with two different bulbs that are both 18000K so thought I'd stick to that when replacing them.

This tank looks brilliant! It is pretty much the same look as I am planning for my new tank, so I may be stealing a few ideas :blush:

Can I ask your opinion on liquid ferts, root tabs and your lighting? I am toying with a few ideas but would always love to hear more from somebody who is obviously having quite a lot of success! :good:

This tank looks brilliant! It is pretty much the same look as I am planning for my new tank, so I may be stealing a few ideas :blush:

Can I ask your opinion on liquid ferts, root tabs and your lighting? I am toying with a few ideas but would always love to hear more from somebody who is obviously having quite a lot of success! :good:

Thanks, steal away :good:. I don't use liquid ferts or root tabs and never have. I'm using Eco Complete substrate at the moment and that's it.

It's been a few weeks since the last update and I've had a bit of a mare with the tank. I had an outbreak of fungus/mouth fungus/columnaris amongst other suspected diseases and it hit some of my fish pretty hard. It really got me down to the point where I was ready to quit the hobby if my Boesemani Rainbow died.

Basically I added a couple of fish in September and I suspect that one of them was carrying something. The mouth fungus was literally taking over the majority of my rainbows faces, eating away at them. Awful to look at. The Congos had it too and a couple of them had white 'strands' bursting out of the sides of them. I was treating with various meds and salt baths and huge water changes and all sorts. I lost my Goyder River (pictured in last update), Lacustris and Praecox (the suspected carrier). The Boesemani was worst hit and spent two weeks in the same corner of the tank hardly moving apart from the odd twitch. The white fungus on his gob was huge but amazingly he pulled through and is back to his normal self apart from some tissue damage which I'm now treating with Melafix. Apart from a tiny bit left on my Australis I'm pretty sure it's sorted now but my tank looks a little bare fish wise.

Anyway, this is a planted journal so on with the update...

P1010601.JPG

The dwarf sag melted under the treatment so got rid. I've got a stem plant in it's place but I'm not sure what it is. Was hoping it was Lindernia Rotundifolia when I bought it but pretty sure it isn't. Whatever it is I'm going to keep it trimmed (if it grows) so it can remain in the foreground. ID would be appreciated if poss...

P1010600.JPG

Finally got myself a Tiger Lotus. Time will tell if I can keep this alive.

P1010603.JPG

Crypt Tropica doing ok front left.

P1010601a.jpg

Nice big Java Fern. Love this but a bit gutted that the big, expensive redmoor behind it can barely be seen. Don't want to thin it out though. The Rotala in the back corner eventually started growing too.

P1010597.JPG

Full tank shot. The Mayaca Fluviatilis is finally reaching the surface which is what I hoped for. It's weird how parts of it are growing faster than others, it's in the back left corner too but has barely grown. :no:

Hoping for a disease free next few months as the tank grows some more. I'm going to be extra, extra careful when adding new fish from now on, I could do with a quarantine tank but I have no-where to put it.

Comments/suggestions etc always appreciated.

looks great!

that plant looks like Bacopa to me. :good:

Shame to ear about the fungus, but on the planted side it's looking great. Christmas moss looks awesome (share!) and still in awe of the java fern. Tiger lotus shouldn't be too difficult to keep alive just make sure to remove the leaves that reach for the surface if you want to keep it submerged.

Also, the growth of the plant back left (mayaca?) between your last two sets of photos is impressive, nice looking plant.

beautiful plants and fish, your tanks always look so crisp and clean too.

Shame to ear about the fungus, but on the planted side it's looking great. Christmas moss looks awesome (share!) and still in awe of the java fern. Tiger lotus shouldn't be too difficult to keep alive just make sure to remove the leaves that reach for the surface if you want to keep it submerged.

Also, the growth of the plant back left (mayaca?) between your last two sets of photos is impressive, nice looking plant.

Thanks mate. It's growing well apart from in the corner, don't know why. Thanks for the Tigetr Lotus tip, will see how it goes.

beautiful plants and fish, your tanks always look so crisp and clean too.

Thanks very much.

New vid...

Time for a quick update...

DSCF2058.JPG

I added this Aponogeton Ulvaceus a couple of weeks ago and have been very impressed with its growth. It was already an established plant (with bulb) but it's pretty much doubled in size and (I think) flowering...

DSCF2057.JPG

Aponogeton flower?

DSCF2077.JPG

The stem plant I put in the right foreground didn't last long and fell apart soon after the last update. I've decided to go with the tried and tested moss so tied some cuttings to some spare bogwood I had.

The Mayaca is growing ridiculously fast and is now floating on the surface. I've added some giant vallis in the back left to fill in the corner where the Mayaca wouldn't grow. The Tiger Lotus is still there just about but I've lost a lot of it unfortunately. I bought it bunched with no bulb, can it even grow like this?? Advice appreciated, really like the plant.

Not taken many pics due to lack of decent camera but here's a couple more shots...

DSCF2083.JPG

DSCF2084.JPG

Again, tiger lotus advice would be most welcome, as would any other comments. Thanks for looking.

whoaaaaaa that has grown!!!!

it's gone all jungley, love the Aponogeton, they are great when they flower. I'm still waiting for my Crispus to flower.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back