DSCN2991.jpg

DSCN2992.jpg

DSCN2993.jpg

DSCN2994.jpg

DSCN2995.jpg

DSCN2996.jpg

DSCN2997.jpg

Hi Fella,

My guess is these are Periophthalmus sp. "Indian mudskipper", but I'll try and have someone confirm this and get back to you.

Cheers, Neale

Hi Fella,

My guess is these are Periophthalmus sp. "Indian mudskipper", but I'll try and have someone confirm this and get back to you.

Cheers, Neale

I might try the other place where we talk about gobies, and I can chase up Richard as well via Email (I've got interview questions set to him), but I have a feeling they might be these http://2.pro.tok2.com/~mudskipper/files/Pe...tilineatus.html

And that's not definite for sure, that's the closest I can find.

They're great though. i've got them in a 76, with a raised beach area by adding another tank on its side, and covering it with sand, and having a beach leading up it. It looks pretty dreadful right now, but I've got an idea on how to keep them without sacrificing any swimming space for the fish they're with...

The pictures of Periophthalmus argentilineatus I've got to hand (in the Aqualog book) show something with a coloured 1st dorsal fin on males *and* females. From the back upwards, it's brownish-red, black, and then a thin white edge. Does that match?

The main thing is that it's neither Periophthalmus barbarus (a big, rather nasty species) or Boleophthalmus spp. (pure algae eaters and very difficult to rear in captivity). Everything else is middling size, 7-15 cm, brackish water, medium-aggression, and aquarium-hardy.

Cheers, Neale

The pictures of Periophthalmus argentilineatus I've got to hand (in the Aqualog book) show something with a coloured 1st dorsal fin on males *and* females. From the back upwards, it's brownish-red, black, and then a thin white edge. Does that match?

The main thing is that it's neither Periopthalmodon barbarus (a big, rather nasty species) or Boleophthalmus spp. (pure algae eaters and very difficult to rear in captivity). Everything else is middling size, 7-15 cm, brackish water, medium-aggression, and aquarium-hardy.

Cheers, Neale

I'm not sure if it matches that to be honest. These are juveniles from what i can ascertain, because they're so small, and the picture of the mudskipper with the dorsal up is how they all look. I would have expected them to show some kind of burrowing behaviour as well, but they haven't at all since I've had them.

I was assuming these would be maximum six inches. I'm positive they're not beleophthalmus because they eat flake and I'm sure Beleophthalmus will only consume algae from mud flats. Plus, they grow to astronomical sizes, and leap around six inches off the earth!

Fella --

Richard says the following...

The silver stripes on the body narrows it down to a few species. First I thought Periophthalmus agentilineatus, but couldn't see any red In the 1st dorsal fin. The one with the dorsal fin up indicates without a doubt Ps. Gracilis, The dwarf mudskipper.

Cheers, Neale

Excellent!

Many thanks neale, I was expecting these to get to around 6 inches. Turns out they're not juveniles and they're fully grown at 4.5cm! I'll have to mind that my archer doesn't develop a taste for them as he gets bigger.

I can't find anything about them on the net about care really, are they infrequently traded?

Excellent!

Many thanks neale, I was expecting these to get to around 6 inches. Turns out they're not juveniles and they're fully grown at 4.5cm! I'll have to mind that my archer doesn't develop a taste for them as he gets bigger.

I can't find anything about them on the net about care really, are they infrequently traded?

Do you know where you got them? - which store?

Excellent!

Do you know where you got them? - which store?

I'm in Nottingham and got them from a store here. It was a world of water shop. Pm me if you want any more details and I'll be happy to help!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back