Moving With Fish.

K3lly

New Member
Joined
Mar 3, 2009
Messages
54
Reaction score
0
Points
0
I'm not sure if this is the right place for this post, I hope so. OK, so here is a short rundown of the situation.
My fiancee is considering joining the AirForce, if that happens..... were moving. How can I safely transport my
fish? Since he hasnt even made a final decision, or even talked to anyone about it yet, it may still be a little ways off.
But it is still something that may happen, and I want to be prepared. I would really like to bring them with me.
And I would really like to not kill them during the move. So if anyone has any ideas, suggestions, or stories about how they did it
I would be so grateful..... I only have 1 ten gallon tank. 2 adult mollies, and 3 adult guppies..... and currently have a small batch of
fry my count at about 8, but I only plan on keeping 1 or 2 of them, the rest will be rehomed..... BTW, anyone in the winchester ky area,
send me a PM..... Free Mollie fry!! Anywys, back on topic...... how do I go about bringing my fish with me?
 
I use 20lt bucket to transport live fish in their own tank water - it has a tight lid which stops water spilling - If journey is a long one then I use a battery operated air pump - I give them a light feed and so far all have survived.
Or if you want they could be sealed in a very strong plastic bag with oxygen added; a method I sometimes use in our hot summers.
Cheers from Oz.

'Fly Navy'.
 
Best way i you can get one is.

Get a polybox, probably from an LFS as this is what they get their deliveries in and a load of fish bags to put the fish in.

Now you may want to line the polybox further with newspaper to insulte it more. Bag the fish as you would get them from an LFS. Only one or two fish per bag depending on their size. ( I recently moved galaxy rasboras, 3 in each bag) I'd suggest a molly in it's own bag. All the guppies in one and the fry in another. This is the last thing you should do before packing the car and don't disturb the fish until you get to your destination. Unless it's going to take more than one day to get there so you may want to check them if you stop over. But the trick is not to disturb them and stress them before you get to your destination. What kind of filter do you have? I would put the filter media in a bucket with some of the tank water with a battery powered air stone to keep water moving around it so you don't loose too much bacteria. And transport the tank empty wrapped in polystyrene or a duvet or something to protect it.

Good luck if you move.
Good luck if you move
 

Most reactions

Back
Top