Moving Tanks And Fish Interstate

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Gidge

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm currently looking at moving to Adelaide soon, it's about 2000kms from Perth and a 3hr plane ride.

My problem is;

how the heck do I move my tanks and fish?!

Desperately seeking advice. I can't afford to dish out loads of money, and I don't want to sell anything.

Appreciate any advice given :)

Wow thats a long move.

The tanks you should be able to box up with plenty of bubble wrap and put some bracing inside the tank to support it and send via the moving company or in your own vechile if your using a U-hire type truck.

The fish can be bagged in Kordon breather bags available through Boss Aquaria.com.au (its the one place I know off the top of my head with these bags currently for sale) and then packaged in styrofoam boxes and sent with you on the plane. You will need to check with the plane company you use eg, QANTAS, TIGER etc and find out if they will carry live fish and any other specifications they have. If the plane company wont carry the fish (although they should), you may need to use a courier company like Fastways or TOLL, these are expensive though. Or you could post the fish to yourself using Australia post. If going with Australia Post I would express post the fish so you can sort of track the parcel(s), and I will warn you that Australia Post really does not like live animals being posted, no matter how many people do it.
Another option which is surprisningly cheap and I have foound quicker than Australia Post express from Rockhampton to Cairns is Greyhound Buses. I have received shrimp this way, bagged and packaged up the same way you would for any other courier company.

If your moving soon, I would mainly be worried about heat, so the sooner you can get the tank(s) and fish to Perth and set up again the better.

Unfortunately I don't know of a way to keep your filter bacteria alive for the journey but some may survive if the filter media is bagged up in some tank water, hopefully the sloshing of the water during transit will be enough to keep some of it alive.

One last thing, be VERY careful of any plants you take to WA, they are very strict on what plants are allowed into the state and I would also check for any banned fish species, in case you have any that are not allowed in. I guess the DPI over there should be able to help with information on what is allowed in and what wont be. Or you could ask on an Australian Forum such as the following http://www.aquariuml...om.au/forum.php I know the linked forum has quite a few W.A members who would probably be more than happy to help you
yes.gif

Best of luck with the move, let us know how it all goes.

Sorry misread which direction you where moving
blush.png
, even so the linked forum has members in SA too, at least your fish species and plants should be safe. I am pretty sure its only W.A, TAS and NT that has plant and fish restrictions.

All good advice, however, Baccus, Gidge is moving from WA to Adelaide, not t'other way round.

Am I bad
blush.png
, thats what you get for having somebody wanting help to cook tea while your trying to read things online.

Wow thanks so much for all the info!
I googled the breather bags and they are such a good invention!

We were thinking of hiring a big van and driving the tanks and fish over. At least that way I can keep an eye on everything.
Time for me to do some more googling and look at what costs I'm in for.
I'll be sure to post any further question I have.

Thanks again!

That could be upto 3 days on the road..those fish will have hell of a story to tell :)
All the best with it though..it would be fascinating to know what you choose and how you do it.

Terry.

The furtherest I have moved fish was from Glenden in Queensland to Bileola also in QLD, I nursed those poor fish all the way in a contianer on my lap and tried to stop them being sloshed around too much. Considering I would have been only 12 or 13 I think it was a pretty good effort. All the fish survived and when we stopped overnight in Rockhampton I made everyone in the family have their showers, so I could clean the hotels bathtub, put in a plug and let my fish have a decent swim around.
rolleyes.gif
. Just as well my family is used to me and me menagrie
laugh.png

Best of luck with the move.

Oh and it would probably pay to check out any plant Bans in SA. I recall that SA does have some garden plants that are not allowed into the state, but I am not sure about any tank plants.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back