Moving my 20US Gallons

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Jean1984

Reaction score
Good Day,

I am looking for recommendations on How to safely move my fish as I am moving into a house in October...

I am unsure how to proceed to empty water in my tank while having my fish safely in good treated water ?

Does anyone had to transfer a 20Gallons US to another house as fill up with water it is way too heavy too carry by itself....

I was wondering how to proceed to safely keep my plants and fish alive through the moving?

How far is the move?
If not too far away, place fish and plants in separate buckets and put lids on. Place substrate in buckets with just enough water to stay wet.

How far is the move?
If not too far away, place fish and plants in separate buckets and put lids on. Place substrate in buckets with just enough water to stay wet.
The move is about 20minutes away... Should I use tap water and treated the water... since there is chlorine in tap water which is toxic for platies?

The move is about 20minutes away... Should I use tap water and treated the water... since there is chlorine in tap water which is toxic for platies?
Siphon tank water out and use that. Or you can use treated tap. Don't forget to put your filter media in some kind of sealed bag with tank water. For that short of a trip you shouldn't need to worry about heaters or air. Just set the tank back up as soon as possible.

Siphon tank water out and use that. Or you can use treated tap. Don't forget to put your filter media in some kind of sealed bag with tank water. For that short of a trip you shouldn't need to worry about heaters or air. Just set the tank back up as soon as possible.
Thanks for the advice my friend. I will definitely keep it in mind when it comes to my moving. How long can the fish and live plants live in a seal bag with air in it?

Plants? 3 to 5 days, probably longer. Fish with regular air, maybe a day in a sealed bag. Several days if their is air or pure oxygen and a heat pack. If you need to keep them for transport for awhile, you should get a battery operated air bubbler, and some heat packs. Put the heat packs in sealed baggies and float in bucket. At least, that is what I would do.
I once did an overnight road trip with fish in the car with a battery bubbler and a 50watt heater plugged into a converter for the car.

Plants? 3 to 5 days, probably longer. Fish with regular air, maybe a day in a sealed bag. Several days if their is air or pure oxygen and a heat pack. If you need to keep them for transport for awhile, you should get a battery operated air bubbler, and some heat packs. Put the heat packs in sealed baggies and float in bucket. At least, that is what I would do.
I once did an overnight road trip with fish in the car with a battery bubbler and a 50watt heater plugged into a converter for the car.
Thank you lots for your good advices. Ill look into it for the best interest of my fishies and plants... but it is only a 20minutes drive move... so it should be only a day or half day move... that should be easy to do with your advice...

Drain the tank down to 3-4 inches of water. Get a friend to help move it into the back of a.car or whatever (helps to have some.kind of SUV...flat bottom back), and.drive to where you are going. Once there, get the new spot set up. Move tank to new spot, fill with water, get everything fired up and done. Fish will be fine.

Drain the tank down to 3-4 inches of water. Get a friend to help move it into the back of a.car or whatever (helps to have some.kind of SUV...flat bottom back), and.drive to where you are going. Once there, get the new spot set up. Move tank to new spot, fill with water, get everything fired up and done. Fish will be fine.
Might try it but 20 Gallons is quite heavy with all the stuff in it so we shall see what I decided but it is definitely something ill look into it!

I moved my 38 gallon bowfront this very way. It had 5 inches of water, 40 pounds of gravel, all the fish, decorations and plants, and 2 of us lifted it no problem. Was a little over 100 pounds. It's not as heavy as ya think. 20 gallons the way I described would prolly be a large car battery weight-wise. 75 pounds maybe.

I moved my 38 gallon bowfront this very way. It had 5 inches of water, 40 pounds of gravel, all the fish, decorations and plants, and 2 of us lifted it no problem. Was a little over 100 pounds. It's not as heavy as ya think. 20 gallons the way I described would prolly be a large car battery weight-wise. 75 pounds maybe.
I have to totally agree with you. Sounds about right. As there s a bit of stairs in the way. 75 pounds with water in it might not be ideal! But it is definitely duable.

read post #2 of the following link.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back