Moving House

strchrstph

New Member
Joined
Apr 16, 2009
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Southampton, Hampshire
I've just got a new job which means I'll be moving from Southampton to Scotland, can anyone please give me the best advice on transporting my tropical fish and my goldfish which is now nearing on 20cm in size, so not a small little thing to transport. The obvious problem for the tropical fish will be the loss of temperature from the water. Any advice would be great!
 
how long will the move take?

I've moved twice now. biggest i had to move were a 12 inch pleco and 13 inch oscar
for the pleco, i put him in a big tupperware container filled halfway with water and a tight lid.
the oscar was a lot more complicated. I put him in a a 5 gallon bucket filled 3/4. He barely fit in it but I had no other option.

The aquarium move took about 5 hours total. I moved them first.

for smaller fish, the more 5 gallon buckets you can get the better. filled with about 3 gallons, the water will remain warm enough for many hours considering the weather is warm right now. Divide the fish equally amongst the bucket or containers you have and set up your tank first thing.

mason jars work well for filter media transportation.

I'm pretty sure everything will go smoothly if the tanks are taken apart last and setup first in your new home!
 
Thanks for the advice, the move will take about 11 hours by car, so could be even longer in a van with all the tanks. I've had my goldfish for nearly 6 years now and really don't want him to pop his clogs on the way there!
 
Could you take them to an LFS to look after for a few weeks or days till you get the tank settled? Even if you leave them with one in your area then pick them back up when your ready?
 

Most reactions

Back
Top