Moving House Thinking Of Moving To Salty Too

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

nortonmad213

Fishaholic
Reaction score
hi, this is my first time posting on this side of the forum.
i currently have a 170l freshwater tank but as i am moving onto a canal boat it will be just too big to fit on there.
i have found this tank which i saw someone else on here was looking at buying
http://cdn.sera.de/fileadmin/gbi/31100_sera_marin_Cube_130_38-05_US.pdf
does anyone know if this is suitable for a beginner and if it available in the uk
i have been reading loads so far and i know i still have lots to learn.
so thats why im here
what sort of equipment do i need other than
tank
sump/filter
skimmer
t5 lighting i think?
heater?
RODI unit?
im bound to have lots more questions so sorry in advance.

thanks in advance

A tricky question actually.

Would fish tanks be ok on a canal boat is my first query?
I've never even been on a canal boat so am unsure.

Moving from FW to SW is a bit of a leap.
SW tanks needs much more time and dedication to maintain a healthy SW tank compared to FW.

But seems that you are reading and asking advice about this first before doing anything is a great first step.
I have not done SW so am not really the best person to answer that but really hope some knowledgable SW members will help you out with your queries.

Good luck and do keep us posted on your progress :)

yea the boat is hooked up to 240v all the time so no power problems
i understand how much of a leap it is
prepared to put in all the effort required to make this as good as possible
will do
when i get the tank/boat i will start a journal to let all of you know how it goes
but for now lots and lots of research to do

I think sw tanks are super neat, especially with the variety of shrimps you can get, but what terrifies me about them (at least in my area) nobody offers refunds/grace periods on sw fish!

Two important things before considering specific tanks and equipment:
- What animals are you wanting to keep?
- What are the environmental constraints you're working with? Issues like weight distribution limits, temperature swings in the room, general stability of flat surfaces in general given that the environment is a boat, etc. 

BelldandyShanny said:
I think sw tanks are super neat, especially with the variety of shrimps you can get, but what terrifies me about them (at least in my area) nobody offers refunds/grace periods on sw fish!
i know that worries me too, hopefully with proper planning and due care no refunds should be required.

Donya said:
Two important things before considering specific tanks and equipment:
- What animals are you wanting to keep?
- What are the environmental constraints you're working with? Issues like weight distribution limits, temperature swings in the room, general stability of flat surfaces in general given that the environment is a boat, etc. 
as to the animals that i am wanting to keep, that is unknown at the minute as i know you can keep less per gallon compared to FW so have to figure that out
weight distribution is fine as the tank will be on the opposite side to the fridge which should even the boat out a bit as it already leans towards that way.
shouldnt be many temp swings as the whole boat is gas central heated controlled by thermostat
the boat is 9ft wide and in the strongest winds i have yet to be able to feel the rock when i have tested them

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back