Moving freshwater aquarium to next state

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

Sheilalk

Reaction score
Hi all, Iā€™m wondering about moving tips. I have a 29 gallon freshwater aquarium with an angelfish, a Molly, 4 tetra and a Otocinclus. I also have a betta and another Otocinclus in a 5 gallon tank. No plants just gravel and tank decorations. I have so one 5 gallon buckets and some 2.5 gallon buckets. I have 2 battery operated bubblers and 4 air stones total with that. I plan to use as much tank water as I can and keep filter and decor wet to keep the tank flora alive.The trip will be about 3 hours by car. What do you all recommend in terms of containers, water needed for the fish, keeping them warm and transport? Iā€™m in the Pacific Northwest. Thanks.

Well, welcome to TFF to start with... :hi:
I don't know how long it takes to move from your old place to your new place in another state. But if you've emptied your tank, you could put your fish in bags or buckets (hopefully, there are lids on those buckets?). That should already be enough to transport them.
Oh, sorry... I just read that it only takes you three hours to move them. If you have styrofoam box, you can put them in there (in small containers or bags). In general, styrofoam boxes are leak free. Which means, you could also put them in there right away without any bags or small containers. The styrofoam keeps the temperature stable (if it's got a lid, of course). There are also heatpacks that you can use. Unless it's really cold in the car, the fish should be okay for a three hours drive.
image1584053.jpg

I do have lids for buckets. I canā€™t seem to find a styrofoam box unfortunately. Do you think all fish in one bucket or should I separate them?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back