Moving fish to new tank, not sure of the best way

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

Joev75

Reaction score
Hi, canā€™t figure out the best way to do this even after many hours googling.
I took on my friends fish, a black neon tetra and bristle nose in a 23L tank. Obviously too small and the neon should be with others.
I have bought and set a 200L tank for them, what is the best way to do the move?
the new tank has been running for a couple of days, the shop gave me the bacteria stuff to add but I know this isnā€™t perfect. Will adding the filter from the old tank be enough to help the bacteria levels or is the size difference in tanks too much?
Am I better getting new black neons before moving my current fish in? Will a 200L tank just be too scary for single black neon?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

thank you!

If the filter in the 23L is sufficient for the fish right now then it will be sufficient if you move it and the fish to the new tank as well. (The bioload will be the same even though the volume of water is much larger). I would wait maybe a few days, monitoring ammonia and nitrite, just to let it settle before adding new fish because there could be a small amount of loss just by moving the filter media into the new tank and also from any substrate that is not moved from the old tank. But I wouldn't expect any noticeable spikes in ammonia or nitrite.

Are you able to put the filter media from the old filter directly into the new one? I'm assuming you had to buy a new filter (possibly a different brand?) since the new tank is so much larger.

when i moved my fish, i set up the new tank and let it run about 2 weeks with some of the old filter media and then l transferred the fish to the new tank. once the fish were in the new tank and doing good, i was able to take down the old tank.

Yes I got a fluval external filter for the new tank, the old is a small internal just with filter sponges, Iā€™m not sure of the model. Would I be better running the two together or trying to get the sponges in the new one?
So I should be ok moving the two fish over and then monitoring and adding a few more black neons, then stocking the rest when the tank is fully settled? Thanks

If you can get the old sponges to fit in the new one that would be great. If not you can run the two alongside each other but unless you want two forever at some point down the line you would have to remove the old one and at that time you might have a mini cycle to deal with. If you do have to run the two together I would aim to take the old one out before the tank is fully stocked yet. That way there would be less bio load for the new filter to have to process when the old one is taken out. But they would need to run alongside for a couple of weeks for the new filter to get established enough to take the old one out.

So if you can fit old media in new filter, do it, move the fish, wait a few days and if no readings for ammonia or nitrite go shopping for a small number of new fish.

If you canā€™t fit it in the new filter and have to run alongside do that for a couple of weeks. Take out old filter, wait several days, and if no readings for ammonia or nitrite go shopping for a small number of fish.

If it were me I would keep some Seachem Prime on hand along with ammonia and nitrite test kit during this whole process so I could add it in if at any point I got readings for either of the two.

If you can get the old sponges to fit in the new one that would be great. If not you can run the two alongside each other but unless you want two forever at some point down the line you would have to remove the old one and at that time you might have a mini cycle to deal with. If you do have to run the two together I would aim to take the old one out before the tank is fully stocked yet. That way there would be less bio load for the new filter to have to process when the old one is taken out. But they would need to run alongside for a couple of weeks for the new filter to get established enough to take the old one out.

So if you can fit old media in new filter, do it, move the fish, wait a few days and if no readings for ammonia or nitrite go shopping for a small number of new fish.

If you canā€™t fit it in the new filter and have to run alongside do that for a couple of weeks. Take out old filter, wait several days, and if no readings for ammonia or nitrite go shopping for a small number of fish.

If it were me I would keep some Seachem Prime on hand along with ammonia and nitrite test kit during this whole process so I could add it in if at any point I got readings for either of the two.
Great, thank you for all the info!
I have the aquarium labs 6 in 1 test kit so I can keep and eye on things, I will try and get some media in the new filter, I should be able to get some in at least.
I just really donā€™t want to hurt these fish, theyā€™ve been in this tiny tank for well over a year before I got them and are the most unhappy looking fish, I want to do right for them. Thanks for your help

when i moved my fish, i set up the new tank and let it run about 2 weeks with some of the old filter media and then l transferred the fish to the new tank. once the fish were in the new tank and doing good, i was able to take down the old tank.
Thanks, I am going to see what I can get out of the filter, itā€™s such a small one I donā€™t know if Iā€™ll be able to get just a bit. Hopefully I can get some in the new filter

Set the new tank up and fill it with dechlorinated water.
Wait a few days.
Move fish, filter and plants from small tank into big tank.
Monitor water quality over next 2 weeks (there shouldn't be any issues).
That's all folks :)

I have the aquarium labs 6 in 1 test kit so I can keep and eye on things,
Do these include an ammonia test? If they don't, you need to get a separate ammonia tester before you move the fish. Ammonia and nitrite are the two you need to check daily after the move until you are certain they are staying at zero, then again daily after each batch of new fish.

Do these include an ammonia test? If they don't, you need to get a separate ammonia tester before you move the fish. Ammonia and nitrite are the two you need to check daily after the move until you are certain they are staying at zero, then again daily after each batch of new fish.
Thanks, yes it does, so I just check those two daily and water change if above zero?

Set the new tank up and fill it with dechlorinated water.
Wait a few days.
Move fish, filter and plants from small tank into big tank.
Monitor water quality over next 2 weeks (there shouldn't be any issues).
That's all folks :)
Thanks, Iā€™ve ready that much over the last few weeks itā€™s all ends up getting muddled and seeming more complicated that it needs to!

Thanks, yes it does, so I just check those two daily and water change if above zero?
Those are the two which can kill fish, so they are the most important to keep an eye on. With strips you'll be testing everything else as well, just look at ammonia & nitrite first :)

Most reactions

trending

Back