moving a tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

dannykerbles

Reaction score
i have to move my tank across the room.....
any suggestions in how to safely do this?? Should i remove 50% or more of the water??...leave the fish in the tank or remove them??...the whole move should take seconds but l would like to do it with the lease amount of stress possible to my 'kids'.

Danny....

Is it carpeted or tile?

I had to move my 55 gallon tank in my basement, tiled of course. I had a spare tank that I emptied some of the water from my 55 gallon tank to. Then I emptied enough so there was about 50% water still in the tank. Then I moved the tank slowly, not to stir too much water so that it spills over the tank. I did it all at once, which took me about 30 minutes to move it about 25'. The fish were fine, though a bit shaken, but it's about the same amount of time it takes for me to do a gravel vac and water change, so they were used to the minor disturbance.

well a 10Gl tank is small but heavy i moned the fish out of mine when i meved it but then again i only has 3 sera comets in there at the time and that took me 2-3 hours with help (upstairs to downstairs) so i would go take all the watter and fish out and put it into a bucket then pick it up and move it saves a lot of time. and remember use a streess reducing chemical and cover up the fish so they're in the dark (keeps them calm).

Hi dannykerbles :D

The less water you have in the tank, when you move it, the better. If you can lower the level to 3" or so, the fish can remain it the tank and you will be able to move it safely. :D

I just move one of my 10 gallon tanks a couple of weeks ago. I was going to do a water change, as well, so I just siphoned out about half of the tank water, saved part of that, and s-l-o-w-l-y carried it across the room. At halfway, if it's 10 US gal, it's probably around 40-50 pounds.

My fish were very cool about the whole thing. I didn't take out anything but water, moved very carefully, so as not to slosh, then refilled right away.

Good luck! :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back