Most Peaceful Gourami?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Katieasaur

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I really want to add a gourami or 2 or 3 to my 29 gallon with 3 male guppies and 3-5 swords, can i even do that? if so what type is the most peaceful? because I keep getting conflicting information, some say pearl some say honey some say dwarf

Honeys and Dwarfs are ideal as they are peacefull. IME i've never had a none-peacefull Gourami, i had a moonlight that didnt like its Green-Kissing Gourami buddy, but nothing serious. I currently have 5 yellow honey gourami's in my planted tank and they are just the sweetest little fish i've ever kept!

i love the moonlight gouramis i just figured my tank is too small

I really want to add a gourami or 2 or 3 to my 29 gallon with 3 male guppies and 3-5 swords, can i even do that? if so what type is the most peaceful? because I keep getting conflicting information, some say pearl some say honey some say dwarf

Pearl Gourami- Peaceful in large aquariums but in smaller tanks, they can become into aggressive, territorial bullies and in your tank, the Guppys will suffer the most :sad: Your tank is too small for these.

Dwarf Gourami- Tends to be a bad tempered and moody fish. Usually sightly nippy. And if kept in 2 or more, they become very aggressive. Also a delicate species (due to Dwarf Gourami Disease)

Honey Gourami- Similar to Dwarf Gouramis but much more peaceful and tolerant of its own species. It can be kept in groups fine as long as only 1 male is present. Overall, a much better community Gourami for smaller tanks like yours.

My vote goes for the Honey Gourami

sweet thanks so much
yah i inherited the guppies its not like i actually want them lol
but theyre kinda the reason i set up the tank so i have to keep them (for now muwahahaha)
tomorrow im going to pick up my panda cories at my LFS and I'm going to check out their stock of gouramis

what else will get along with a honey gourami?

Try and get females if you can. I had one that was a male and bullied my female to death. Then I got 2 females and they were the sweetest fish ever.

Don't let anyone tell you Sparklers have good natures btw. Nippy little gits!

sweet thanks so much
yah i inherited the guppies its not like i actually want them lol
but theyre kinda the reason i set up the tank so i have to keep them (for now muwahahaha)
tomorrow im going to pick up my panda cories at my LFS and I'm going to check out their stock of gouramis

what else will get along with a honey gourami?
pretty much any community fish... my honey gouramis are so peaceful its unreal :p ever though of rams?? (i dont know your current stocking so sorry if u already have them :p)

Honeys and Dwarfs are ideal as they are peacefull. IME i've never had a none-peacefull Gourami, i had a moonlight that didnt like its Green-Kissing Gourami buddy, but nothing serious. I currently have 5 yellow honey gourami's in my planted tank and they are just the sweetest little fish i've ever kept!
never had a dwarfs but they are known to be aggressive and nippy.
def. not kissing gouramis though!!!!

Honey gouramis are fine with any small fish with similar water conditions and similar temperaments. The only fish Honey Gouramis should not be kept with is other species of gourami.

I can say from my recent issues that dwarfs are not as peaceful as some sites say- my guy is fine with fish that are already in the tank, but when I tried to add a new guppy he killed it with one bite.

He's still my favorite fish though- he's really friendly and very interactive for a fish.

I can say from my recent issues that dwarfs are not as peaceful as some sites say- my guy is fine with fish that are already in the tank, but when I tried to add a new guppy he killed it with one bite.

He's still my favorite fish though- he's really friendly and very interactive for a fish.

Take him out when you introduce new fish.

Right now I have (as of today new inherited stock) platties, swords and guppies.

Take him out when you introduce new fish.

That's my plan- I'm actually stocking a new tank that he'll be going in eventually, but I plan to add him last. Hopefully that will avoid the issue!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back