Most Expensive Hobby’s Besides Fish Keeping?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

In fairness in terms of keeping animals fish are kind of cheap to keep if you think about it , the initial cost are fairly high but after that it’s just a few pounds or dollars here and there
I find most hobbies have an high starting cost but once started they seem to get cheaper and cheaper I love match fishing here in uk carp mainly and my gear at first I had to finance because I wasn’t prepared to pay thousands of pounds up front for stuff but now it costs me a few pounds a time for bate etc

I used to be super big into fishing, but it sort of died down after I started fish keeping. :/
It would almost seem as a conflict of interest, but I manage!
I love match fishing here in uk carp mainly
I'd love to get across the pond to wrestle with some of their carp (wouldn't mind catching a few wells too)!
Funny how in the US carp are just deemed trash fish and almost no one targets them. They're a fun fight and aren't a quarter of the size over there.
my gear at first I had to finance because I wasn’t prepared to pay thousands of pounds up front for stuff but now it costs me a few pounds a time for bate etc
Bait, lures, new line, more rods, new reels, trips to different parts of the country... never ends for me.

It would almost seem as a conflict of interest, but I manage!

I'd love to get across the pond to wrestle with some of their carp (wouldn't mind catching a few wells too)!
Funny how in the US carp are just deemed trash fish and almost no one targets them. They're a fun fight and aren't a quarter of the size over there.

Bait, lures, new line, more rods, new reels, trips to different parts of the country... never ends for me.
My personal best is a 29lbs common carp I’m not the best angler to be fair I lack the patience of the real pros , and yeah it’s crazy I love how over there you have the bass I’d love to go bass spinning , it’s strange how you crave what you don’t have , iv never caught a Wells cat my friend has caught many but they are pools and lakes filled with them I like to find a natural place and see what’s there

I try and make sure any hobby I pick is as cheap as possible.

I do however have a ton of hobbies but next to no time to partake in any of them.

Blacksmithing/Redsmithing - Started off cheap with home built charcoal forge and scrap metal, recently got a new anvil and 3 burner propane forge which was a pretty big chuck of cash. Got in in July but still not actually had chance to fire it up yet.

Miniature/model painting/making - Some of the models and paint and kit was expensive. Some of it I literally make from scrap. I have picked up a resin and fdm printer though and I 3D model and print my own stuff as well now.

Green wood carving - Probably my cheapest hobby. I made the carving tools myself and the wood I get for free mostly from tree surgeons and woodland management people. Only just got into this but is fun.

Bunch of other different craft/maker bits and bobs.
So you do a lot of cheap hobbies that add up to being expensive lol

I LOVE to do catch and release fishing! And I tend to get snagged a lot on thing ya cant see underwater, which means replacing the lures! and DANG lures can be expensive

I LOVE to do catch and release fishing! And I tend to get snagged a lot on thing ya cant see underwater, which means replacing the lures! and DANG lures can be expensive
I also just broke my pole a few months ago but I luckily found a good deal on one

In the east coast fall and winter means that the speckled trout are schooling down! I cant wait

I'm all catch and release. Never took to eating fish, texture always threw me off. And you're telling me. I lost 4 lures in a matter of 3hrs last weekend. Price I pay for throwing around laydown trees I guess.
I also just broke my pole a few months ago but I luckily found a good deal on one
Before you know it you'll have more. Think I'm up to 16 rods now. Getting ready to start trying my hand at fly fishing, so #17 is coming soon.

I'm all catch and release. Never took to eating fish, texture always threw me off. And you're telling me. I lost 4 lures in a matter of 3hrs last weekend. Price I pay for throwing around laydown trees I guess.

Before you know it you'll have more. Think I'm up to 16 rods now. Getting ready to start trying my hand at fly fishing, so #17 is coming soon.
I only have 2 rods. One is a medium lite and the other is for saltwater fishing and its a medium heavy... Ive lost about 4-5 lures in one trip! I hated that day... I dont mind not catching anything but when I lose a lot of lures and dont catch anything its irritating lol. And wdym you dont like fish!? I love the taste of salmon! And I LOOOOOVE sushi

My personal best is a 29lbs common carp I’m not the best angler to be fair I lack the patience of the real pros , and yeah it’s crazy I love how over there you have the bass I’d love to go bass spinning , it’s strange how you crave what you don’t have , iv never caught a Wells cat my friend has caught many but they are pools and lakes filled with them I like to find a natural place and see what’s there
My personal best largemouth bass was a 12pb monster I caught on a bleeding shad rooster tail. (Also caught it on a light spinning with 5lb test line. That was interesting 😳)

My personal best black crappie was 18 inches long and weighed 8lb. Pretty big for a crappie.

I don’t do much fishing, but I once caught a fish with one of those little Disney princess children’s rods, a hook, and no bait. It must’ve swam too close to the hook, because it was caught by its side:blush:

Most reactions

trending

Back