Most Expensive Hobby’s Besides Fish Keeping?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Also can someone move this to general please once again I hit the wrong category

Sorry in advance!

I try and make sure any hobby I pick is as cheap as possible.

I do however have a ton of hobbies but next to no time to partake in any of them.

Blacksmithing/Redsmithing - Started off cheap with home built charcoal forge and scrap metal, recently got a new anvil and 3 burner propane forge which was a pretty big chuck of cash. Got in in July but still not actually had chance to fire it up yet.

Miniature/model painting/making - Some of the models and paint and kit was expensive. Some of it I literally make from scrap. I have picked up a resin and fdm printer though and I 3D model and print my own stuff as well now.

Green wood carving - Probably my cheapest hobby. I made the carving tools myself and the wood I get for free mostly from tree surgeons and woodland management people. Only just got into this but is fun.

Bunch of other different craft/maker bits and bobs.

Drums, watches, knives, airsoft, shoes, etc. I have a lot of expensive hobbies. 😵‍💫

I also keep reptiles and amphibians, which can be expensive. Like fish keeping, it depends on what you have, how many you have, and how you house them.
For example, it’s quite possible to spend tens of thousands of dollars to purchase a particularly rare animal, and hundreds, maybe thousands, more on caging, if it is large. Given the expense of some herps, there is a strong motivation to breed them, in an attempt to recoup the initial outlay. Which means purchasing more of them. Then, you’re going to need a bigger house, or a dedicated building to keep them in. Most reptiles and amphibians are kept individually (unlike fish), requiring much more space and enclosures.
Then there is the cost of feeding them, which can be substantial, as the majority of herps require live prey. To cut down on this cost, hobbyists with larger collections usually culture some of their own feeders, typically insects and rodents. This requires specialized housing, space, and most importantly, time. Maintaining even a modest sized herp collection is like having a second job.
Of course, most herp hobbyists aren’t going to have a large collection of high end animals, although I think you’d be surprised by how many who do. But even a small collection isn’t cheap. As an example, let’s say you want to get a boa constrictor. Good looking and easy to handle, they are very popular in the hobby. They are available in many subspecies, localities, and morphs, but even a relatively inexpensive adult boa is going to run you $500 or so. A large PVC cage is going to run another $500 or more, plus $250 or thereabouts for a heater and thermostat. Frozen rodents to feed the snake will probably come in under $100 per year, but will your spouse appreciate your keeping them in the freezer next to the pork chops and broccoli? If not, plan on buying a small freezer.
All that, for one common, inexpensive snake. And, like fish keepers, herp keepers rarely stop at one, so multiply those numbers by however many it takes to satisfy that inner desire. For some of us, that number is dangerously high.
At the other extreme, one could pick up a used ten gallon at a garage sale, add some soil and plants, and catch a toad in their back yard for practically nothing, and still enjoy it. Like fish keeping, it’s whatever you want to make of it.

I guess if keeping fish is a hobby then keeping any animal is a hobby and in comparison to dogs fish are cheap my dogs eats 3 full chickens per day plus insurance, easy £3k per year

Drums, watches, knives, airsoft, shoes, etc. I have a lot of expensive hobbies. 😵‍💫
Also reefing takes all my money, so these hobby’s are pretty non existent these days, lol. (Except for shoes)

My other expensive hobby is raising rabbits. I raise purebred Holland lops. They probably cost me about the same as fishkeeping.
E7DBBFD8-7F11-4859-9F56-36463483A009.jpeg
7B94B281-FF75-4F76-B040-1AC9ABEBAC43.jpeg
182BE2D4-257A-4B0C-93AF-A1744029EC7F.jpeg
B038FB96-E7BF-4EAE-BD56-15A3FDE50C0E.jpeg
006C977D-D12A-425F-9AA3-38695A2DF198.png
66D16860-6F63-4E50-B9A6-7F8007B1E82C.jpeg
4EE144A7-1EEE-4B0D-8D65-541696ADF75F.jpeg

Talullah and Tanana (the sisters in the bottom picture with the cat) are always so amazed by soda cans. They try so hard to tip them over.

Woodworking - Started and got to the point that if I wanted to move up to the next level, precise furniture making, I needed better equipment. After a couple thousand, and the realization that I had many thousands left to go, I cut bait and gave it up.

Fishing - It wouldn't seem that bad at first glance, but once you start accumulating gear (and different gear for different species/locations) and trips to other locations it adds up. I refuse to think what I've spent in the past couple years.

Fishing - It wouldn't seem that bad at first glance, but once you start accumulating gear (and different gear for different species/locations) and trips to other locations it adds up. I refuse to think what I've spent in the past couple years.
I used to be super big into fishing, but it sort of died down after I started fish keeping. :/

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back