Moss and bogwood

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

My aquarium is 240 gallon and I add like 2 teaspoons worth about every day,some days I skip. Its really made a difference.the swords grow larger by the day.
This is the other day.
I tell you Ozelot 'red'? Is a true centerpiece plant for the larger planted tank.
2 teaspoons for that amount of water? Incredible!
Which means I probably need a microscopic amount for my 20g lol

Amazing aquarium btw!

Sometimes I'm heavy handed..but not more than double. ..or two tablespoons for 920 liters of water as they say in Europe.
Not much every day seems to work better then weekly heavy dose.

.or two tablespoons for 920 liters of water as they say in Europe
It's two 15 ml spoonfuls per 920 litres water in Europe - spoons are measured in mls as well as tanks :)

I looked it up before and they said liters was valid..as I recall.-_-
Iron rules low tech plant tanks..that and plenty of light but that's a given even newbies know. I push that iron and have not noticed any side effects. BBA is still there,but less if anything.

IMO,Iron is pretty much all the fertilizer you need. Chelated. I've found even the one sold at Home Depot in liquid for $11 a gallon does work. For all types of plants. A little a day keeps the yellows away.
So far its gotten some swords to just explode,mosses to deep green then ever before,Crypts to become weeds..on and on.
Iron.
So I bought 5 mosses based on some of the suggestions here. They came attached to steel mesh already. I've put them along on some gravel into a 12litre tank I bought as a quarantine tank.

I filled it with water from the main tank. I'm currently using a desk lamp to light it - I just bought a mini 20litre filter and a sponge filter, either of which can go in there but I'm wondering a few things...

If it is JUST use it for moss to grow outside of use as a quarantine tank...
1) does the moss need a filter to grow? D

2) does it need a heater to grow?

Most importantly, if I replace the water in the moss/quarantine tank with "dirty" water from my main tank each week BEFORE performing a water change on my main tank...

3) Is that good for the moss to get nutrients from the fish waste and co2? Or is it bad, especially with our a filter/oxygen.

4) Does it even need oxygen pump to grow?

Lastly, if I breed shrimp in this tank (and get another quarantine tank) and keep this for just the moss and shrimp..... Do I need any of the above? Filter, or heater? (I will put air pump for shrimp)

Ages aquarium water is best to start- no need for it to be the dirty stuff from the gravel or filter. No need for a heater this time of year. I've seen plenty of plant aquariums lush with not even a single fish. Plants don't need fish,they need light and water conditions that are appropriate.
Aeration is good..but for a no fish plant tank? You don't even need that.

Ages aquarium water is best to start- no need for it to be the dirty stuff from the gravel or filter. No need for a heater this time of year. I've seen plenty of plant aquariums lush with not even a single fish. Plants don't need fish,they need light and water conditions that are appropriate.
Aeration is good..but for a no fish plant tank? You don't even need that.
So just as it is. Its fish water, and nothing else.

What about if I add shrimp in there, cherry red or blue.. Will they need air or heater?

Shrimp are fine..for a few no filter is needed. But! they breed don't they? So you might look for a tiny pump and filter or sponge filter.
Heat needed in the winter.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back