more goby id questions

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

chris_1127

Fishaholic
Reaction score
a lfs that ive not visited before had a really interesting and cool looking goby in a fw community tank at the weekend - it was labelled as a sleeper goby, but they couldnt be any more precise than that. it was only about 3" long, and was a dark brown mottled kind of colour with white stripes and patches throughout the brown areas. it had quite an angular head too. the woman in the shop said she believed that it would get to about 5-6" in length. it wasnt particularly active, staying put on the bottom most of the time but then having occasional bouts of activity. no camera unfortunately so i cant get pics, but just wondering if anyone might have any ideas what it might be?

Sleeper gobies are any species of the Eleotridae family of fish and is often used by uninformed lfs staff as a "one name fits all" name for any fish from this group that they cannot identify.

Most sleeper gobies are not suitable for community tanks as they usually grow large and are always predatory.

The species you describe sounds most like Oxyeleotris marmoratus, one of the largest gobies with a adult size of 20 inches and a fierce predator that would tear any normal community tank to bits, it is also a brackish fish.

images

just googled some pics, could very possibly have been a very small one of those. i was thinking of putting it in my brackish tank rather than keeping it in a fw community, but i dont think that i will bother by the sounds of it. a shame really, it was pretty cheap, and looked really cool. cheers for the info

Most reactions

Back