Moral Dilema

Wills

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Tank of the Month 🏆
Supporting Member ⭐
Joined
Jun 15, 2009
Messages
10,983
Reaction score
4,798
Points
113
Location
East Yorks
Hi quick stocking questions also to see where people stand on the whole Grow out tank issues.

I mentioned earlier that within the next 6 months I will be upgrading from a 30 to something in the 150-200g region. But at the moment I have a 30g with

2 HRP's (breeding pair)
1 L135 and 1 L235

and this is the question - I have bought 1 Anostomus Ternetzi on the basis that I want a few in my large tank he is around 2.5 inches at the moment but the HRP's are focusing on him as there are only the plecs in the tank and they hide very well (a little too well through the day) so I wanted to get an other two or three of the anostomus ternetzi (red lipped headstander) I have found an other LFS (not too local really but ill drive it) and as these are a farily unusual strain of headstander I want to grab them now to go with my current one.

So what I'm basically asking is what do you think about growing these on now? As I am fairly certain that when I get the 6foot (possibly bigger) I will be taking on some adult SA cichlids - the other advantage to getting them now is that they will take the focus off the lone one from the HRPs.

Also does anyone know the growth rates of these fish? Or similar such as the regular Anostomus Anostomus?

I normally cringe when people ask these kind of questions but I know 100% that the 6 foot tank is a definite in the very near future

Thanks - Wills
 
bump anyone - I'm heading out to have a look at them in a few hours so any replies would be great. At the moment I am going to pick up 2 maybe 3 and greatly increase my filtration on this tank which will be movable to the other tank when its here. However the LFS in an MA so hoping they will be able to discuss it with me as well.

Wills
 
How long is it till the new tank will be set-up (ish...and give the 'worse case scenario' length of time)

And how big are the current fish?
I think it all depends on the size of the current fish and the length of time till the new tank.
Overall I think it's probably a reasonable idea though, trying to spread out the agression, seeing as you are wanting those fish long term anyways.
 
hi thanks for reply :) - getting the new tank soonest would be here next may longest next august/september

the one I have at the moment is 5cm and the other ones are about the same from what I got told on the phone I think they will be from the same batch as the shops are quite close - I cant really see these making adult size within the year though. Also they are a top level fish and they will have the top level to them selves as the plecs and HRPs stay low apart from when they chase but hoping to get the fry out and rid off in a week or two now so that will stop and also it is not like they cant defend them selves as I put him in the "fry" tank which is now home to an apisto cacatuoides and he picked on the apisto! He was trying to flick him over!

Off to have a look at how big these ones are now. Thanks Again Wills
 
It's a tough one I guess...I think it's worth a try.
But so long as you're willing to maybe up your water changes to perhaps every 4-5 days instead of weekl.y And if you'd be ok with re-homing the headstanders if the agression doesn't subside or if any inhabitants seem stressed.

It's longer than I would be willing to keep them in a 30gal...but maybe I'm a bit soft. Lol.
 
yeah agreed with all of above - I am prepared to rehome fish if things dont work out still. Though admittedly if the fish grow fast I can easy see the new tank getting here asap :) Planning on upping the filtration as well on the 30 for now.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top