Mop Spawning 101

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Status
Not open for further replies.

noelberg

Fishaholic
Reaction score
The amount of killifish owners has jumped a lot recently, so I thought I should make a post concerning mop spawners.

Mop/plant spawners are species of killies that spend a lot of time on the surface of the water. Common mop/plant spawning species are Aplochelius lineatus (Golden Wonder), Epiplatys annulatus, E. dageti (and all Epiplatys species), Aphyosemion australe (and most other Aphyosemion species), Jordanella floridae (Florida flag fish), and Fundulopanchax gardneri.

These species will deposit eggs in duckweed, riccia, and java moss. They may also deposit eggs by the leaves and roots of rooted plants.

But when it comes to collecting eggs, an artificial spawning mop is best since it is easily removed, doesn't take over the tank, leaves very little mess, and works in any water condition. It is also ridiculously easy to make:

Get a small (preferrably) hard-bound book, a skein of 100% acrylic yarn, scissors, and either a cork or pill bottle/film canister (with all labels removed). USE ONLY MAN-MADE MATERIALS WITH 'NO DYE LOT' or they might deteriorate or pollute the water.
1. Wrap the yarn around the book 40-50 times.
2. Cut the yarn then cut another small piece. Tie the 2nd piece around the middle of of one side of the wrapped yarn:
----------------------------------------------
I
I
I
>>>>>>>>>>>>%>>>>>>>>>>>>>
I
I
I
----------------------------------------------
(Book with '>>>' as wrapped yarn (1) and '%' as tied yarn (2))
3. Flip the book over and cut the wrapped yarn in the middle.
4. Sterilize the mop in boiling water or antibacterial solution.
5. Tie mop to a cork or sandwich a thread in a pill bottle/film canister.

Finally make sure if you use a pill bottle/film canister that the plastic does not get trapped against the hot light fixture in your tank, especially during/after water changes.

Enjoy your killies!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back