Moon Jellyfish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I think they're awesome!

A round tank would be better for them, with little to no very solid obstacles (a few low plants for colour in the tank should be fine). They're pretty delicate from my knowledge so cycle the tank before u add any!

Good luck & post vids/pics if you ever do get these cool little dudes!

I actually think they are quite boring. Just sort of hang there in the water. Don't imagine they do much.

Says the person with the name "squidward", haha. Sorry, i found that amusing :p

In all seriousness it would be interesting to do if possible, however i have no clue as to its legality or what not.

I actually think they are quite boring. Just sort of hang there in the water. Don't imagine they do much.

Says the person with the name "squidward", haha. Sorry, i found that amusing
tongue2.gif

In all seriousness it would be interesting to do if possible, however i have no clue as to its legality or what not.

I live in Australia, so I would have no clue as to the availability and legality in the UK... or here for that matter!

I have no idea of the legality anywhere for jellyfish, but I couldn't imagine they would be illegal. Also, I don't know where you could buy them, but I do know how to catch small ones as I have done this before. You must go to an inlet or estuary with a net, wait untill you see one, and swipe your net through the water(you may not have as much luck with this, for you do not live in Florida). You probaly could order jellyfish online though, but they might be expensive. If you ever do get a jellyfish, you should put it in a medium-lit, very lightly planted aquariam that is tall and circular with a good current. And you should feed it a good amount of copepods or brine shrimp every day or two. Also I would recomend getting a jelly that is not too deadly.

just so you know the jellyfish in the video are known as blue blubber jellyfish. moon jellyfish are white with a clover shape on the top of thier bell.in america(were im from) and japan they are legally sold on internet websites and pet stores (mostly stores in japan). other than moons a wide variety of others are sold like sea nettles. considering the fact the sting is harmless to humans ,though i would still take caution in case an alergic reaction may occur, they are also considered an invasive spiecies in some seas and,have a very good captive record so i would imagine they are legal. the hard part is finding a retailer and a tank. moon jellyfish are generally easy to care for just make sure to chage 25% water change every week. if your using frozen take a peice the size of a pea, disolve it in a little tank water and squirt it right near the near the the frilly white arms in the middle

go to this place for more info i dont know if they ship internationally http://www.jellyfishart.com/default.asp

Honestly, ive looked into jellyfish but basically the cost of the aquariums itself is what kept me at bay. Definitely a cool idea and can be done, but i must say that if they are selling a 7 gallon tank https://www.jellyfishart.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=kckstrtr specifically for the small 2" jelly which is actually still a moon jelly... wouldn't it still grow to get 5"+ ? seems a tad small.... but the blubber jellies are awesome and dont grow large, and i even found where you can get some! http://www.liveaquaria.com/diversden/ItemDisplay.cfm?c=2733+4&ddid=132303

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back