Molly with white patch

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

corylover5

Fish Herder
2x Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
I was watching my fish gor the past half hour and one of my mollies since the day I got her has never come out from hiding behind one of my plants except to eat. She came out today and was swimming around when I noticed a white patch on her head. It does not look fluffy. I'm not sure what it is. I couldn't get a very good picture of her but I got one where you can kind of see the white patch.

Attachments

• 20200612_201058~2.jpg
    20200612_201058~2.jpg
    442.2 KB · Views: 68
Why is the water so cloudy? What are your water parameters? How long has the tank been setup? How often do you clean the filter? What are it’s other tanks mates? How big is the tank?

I had another thread about the water and came to the conclusion that it was a bacterial bloom from a huge water change and filter cleaning. I'm getting my water tested tomorrow but as of 3 days ago it was 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 7 nitrate. It's been set up for almost 3 months now. I was cleaning my filter once every 3 weeks but learned I shouldn't clean my filter for a month or 2 since my tank is still pretty new. The tank is a 29 gallon with a few other mollies, 2 guppies, 2 upside down catfish, ans a small school of cories.

Does the patch seem to be under the skin? Does it see, to be fuzzy in any way?

It's on top of the scales and it doesn't seem fuzzy but I can't tell 100% since she hates people and hides in a corner when I'm in the room.

It's on top of the scales and it doesn't seem fuzzy but I can't tell 100% since she hates people and hides in a corner when I'm in the room.
From the picture, it just seems like coloration. Fish can develop new coloration, even if they are mature.

Keep a close eye on it. If you see it on other fish, or it getting bigger, let us know.

I was watching them some more and I noticed 2 of my cories will be swimming and looking for food and they will suddenly twist and roll really quickly and rub up against my driftwood. Could this be related to the molly?

I was watching them some more and I noticed 2 of my cories will be swimming and looking for food and they will suddenly twist and roll really quickly and rub up against my driftwood. Could this be related to the molly?
If you see fish rubbing, it usually indicates ick.

Do you see any white spots?

I treated ick for 3 weeks with heat and treatment ended 3 weeks ago. I haven't seen any white spots and I have been looking really closely

I still can't get a picture but I was able to look at it and it's not fuzzy but it's a little sunken in on the white patch.

Last edited:
It's not white spot (ich).
It doesn't look like fungus, which is fluffy and sticks up from the body.

It looks like some scales have lifted.

-------------------
Wipe the inside of the glass down with a clean fish sponge.

Clean the filter. Wash filter media/ materials in a bucket of tank water and re-use the media.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Add 2 heaped tablespoons of rock salt, sea salt, or swimming pool salt for every 20 litres (5 gallons) of tank water. Keep the salt in there for 2 weeks.

Monitor the fish and if it gets worse, post some more pictures.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back