Molly or Platy?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

lee_k

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi,

So i've had these 3 fish for probably coming up to a year, for all of them except the past week they were in a biorb 30.

The 3 bigger fish, between 2 of them - had the 4th smaller fish. They also had 2 more over different periods but unfortunately i've not seen them around the tank for a few days now - not sure if there hiding or if they've been eaten :(

But the question is - are they molly or platy?

Fish1.jpg
Fish2.jpg
Fish3.jpg

Baby1.jpg

Thanks
Lee

:confused:o_O???? ! - There listening!!! Baby no 2 just made an appearance - Baby 3 is easily half this size.... hopefully hes just hiding away and nothing got him :(

Baby2.jpg

I think they are platys as they have squat bodies. Also the black marks on the tail fins of three of them are reminiscent of the Micky Mouse Platy.

Last edited:
They are platy’s and Naughts is correct, they are descendent of Mickey Mouse Platy’s.

I concur with the 2 above, they look like platys to me. :)

first pic looks like a swordtail
second pic looks like a platy
third pic looks like a molly but could be a funny coloured platy
forth pic looks like a swordtail x platy

swordtails were crossed with platies many years ago and they will hybridise and produce fertile young. You might have a group of hybrid swordtails x platies.

first pic looks like a swordtail
second pic looks like a platy
third pic looks like a molly but could be a funny coloured platy
forth pic looks like a swordtail x platy

swordtails were crossed with platies many years ago and they will hybridise and produce fertile young. You might have a group of hybrid swordtails x platies.
What?!?!

can the OP post a pic showing all the fish together in the same picture so we can compare body shape and size?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back