Mollies & Gravid Spots

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Cabrill

Reaction score
I just recently bought some Mollies, as I wanted to try my hand at breeding, as my brother-in-law breeds Mollies and Swordtails, and I thought it'd be neat to trade back and forth. So I went to the store and chose 3 Pearlescent Mollies. 2 Females, and 1 Male. I tried to pick the plumpest looking females to cut down on my wait, and sure enough, 2 days later the larger of the two females has developed a VERY obvious gravid spot that is visible even when not in direct light. She looks like she's about ready to burst. Does anyone know how long it takes from this point until the fry are born? I've already seperated her from the other two mollies, in a fry-seperating, drip filtered nursery. But I realize now I don't know how long it takes from obvious gravid to baby fry, and I don't know how long its acceptable to keep her in there, as I'm sure she misses frolicking and swimming in the comparatively larger tank. Any advice?

:rolleyes: Talk about timing! I come down here to post this, then when I go back upstairs she's birthing, as I watch. I guess I had lucky, perfect timing this time. So far I've got 18 fry, and she looks like she's going to supply more. I had been warned to be cautious about plastic fry-seperating containers, but this one works beautifully! If anyone's curious, it's the Interpet Fresh Flow Breeding Unit, I got it at Petsmart for $15. Not bad. Anyway, now I know what to look for for my second female Molly, she's starting to look nearly as plump as the first one did.

She's fast! I'm up to 38 fry, now. Although there seem to be a lot of half-formed fry, and 3-4 yellow eggs. I'm assuming that's normal. How long do you think I should leave her in there, before I let her loose back into the aquarium?

Wow cabrill good work :D Its always nice being a parent! How are they doing now? The trouble with plastic breeders is two fold,

firstly often the fish don't get enough airation and flow of water through it, secondly if there is enough slots they are often too big and the fry can get sucked out of the nets by larger fish! I'm glad to hear your pleased with your one though, perhaps its a new improved version. Its quite cool seeing livebearers give birth isn't it! :)

Most reactions

Back