Mold On Emergent Driftwood!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

qball922

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
DIDNT KNOW WHERE ELSE TO ASK THIS! Figured planted people may have experienced the same thing. IĀ recently finished my natural planted tank. Used the ol' Walstad method, and its working flawlessly. My only issue is I have a piece of driftwood that sticks probably 6-7 inches out of the top of the water line and I'm starting to see white specks of mold growing all over theĀ part exposed to the air. I know a little bit about mold from my job, and without actual swab testingĀ I'm assuming its aspergillus penicillium. Obviously I'm not gunna go out of my way to test it, and I don't think it'll matter anyway...BUT BACK TO MY INQUIRY. Has anyone had any experiences with mold on their driftwood that's exposed to the air? Any suggestions on how to get rid of it, and make sure it wont come back? It's not only unsightly, but it doesn't take a moldĀ expert to know mold poses health issues. I would prefer NOT to remove the driftwood and boil/soak it because my 3 different anubias species just finally attached themselves. Plus I'm not sure that'll rid me of the issue permanently. Any input is much appreciated, thanks in advance! I'll post photos if need be.

This is interesting as I have wood poking out of the water but no mold yet. If it does appear I'll be sawing it off so it's all underwaterĀ 

qball922 said:
DIDNT KNOW WHERE ELSE TO ASK THIS! Figured planted people may have experienced the same thing. IĀ recently finished my natural planted tank. Used the ol' Walstad method, and its working flawlessly. My only issue is I have a piece of driftwood that sticks probably 6-7 inches out of the top of the water line and I'm starting to see white specks of mold growing all over theĀ part exposed to the air. I know a little bit about mold from my job, and without actual swab testingĀ I'm assuming its aspergillus penicillium. Obviously I'm not gunna go out of my way to test it, and I don't think it'll matter anyway...BUT BACK TO MY INQUIRY. Has anyone had any experiences with mold on their driftwood that's exposed to the air? Any suggestions on how to get rid of it, and make sure it wont come back? It's not only unsightly, but it doesn't take a moldĀ expert to know mold poses health issues. I would prefer NOT to remove the driftwood and boil/soak it because my 3 different anubias species just finally attached themselves. Plus I'm not sure that'll rid me of the issue permanently. Any input is much appreciated, thanks in advance! I'll post photos if need be.
Ā 
Ā 
literally just googled it but the Walstad method, is that to replace a cycle or would the tank be cycled alrteady? .. Just out of interest, :)..
Ā 
Sorry have no idea on the mould so no input from me but funnily enough I just bought some wood yesterday and some may poke out the top... May remove now. apologies for that. Just intrigued in Walstad method

A bit of airflow might curb it once you've got rid.

The walstad method is just a low tech way of growing plants. No CO2, no ferts, low to mid lighting. The basic idea of it is to use organic top soil under a fine layer of gravel. Theres obviously more to it than that, but I wont go into too much detail. Essentially it's 90% self sustaining. Fish poop and purposeful overfeeding provide nutrients to the plants, plants in turn remove anything harmful from the water like ammonia etc. The trick is to get a good balance between overfeeding and overstocking the tank compared to the amount of plants. If you get that balance right, your tank will be so close to a natural environment youll only have to do water changes about once a month sometimes less. I do a 20%Ā water change once every two months.
Ā 
edit: tried quoting your reply but It wouldn't work....frustrating, but such is life. Damn you technology.

BY THE WAY!!! To everyone else who had the emergent driftwood and was worried about the same issue; I read up a little on what causes it, and I was able to find a little bit of info. Idk how reliable these sources were, nor do I know if its the same type of mold. People said it disappears after a week or so once the wood soaks up enough water and matures. Who knows how true this is, but i'll def keep everyone updated!!! I'm going to leave a small amount on the wood and see if it goes away... If it doesn't I will be requesting my brother come over and do a swab test, we'll send it to the lab and see just how dangerous this mold is. If it's no big deal then I guess just brushing it away every once and a whileĀ will suffice.

Just letting everyone know if they're interested, im cutting my driftwood below the surface. Had my father take a look at the mold and he agreed that it's aspergillus penicillium. Not a "toxic" mold, but it's highly allergenic. If you experience the same issue DO NOT SCRUB IT OFF. If you do youre going to dislodge the spores and they'll become airborne which is exactly what you dont want. This is not the same mold/fungus i researched that people said would disappear, but rather a common household mold that occers in warm areas with high humidity. You're better off cutting your losses (literally :D) and shortening the wood below the surface. I would assume a small clip on fan would reduce the risk of its onset, but you see ANY mold, immediately turn the fan off as you will dislodge the spores and make them airborne. Hope this helps anyone in the future. Happy tanking my friends!

I've had little white mold splotches under water on driftwood that later disappeared I think that's the one you read up on.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back