Moist Pelleted Fish Food

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

RCA

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I recently acquire a pot of small tropical pellets, called Firstbite, link at bottom of post.  I thought these were great, especially for my Bettas as they are moist so I guess they do not need pre-soaking.  I find with some of the Bettas though they need to learn that the food now sinks and does not hang about on the surface
smile2.gif
   The corys seem to gobble them up.

Has anyone else used a moist food, and what is your experience?

http://food4fish.co.uk/product.php?n=tropical-pellet&i=88

Quick Update:

I find that some of the pellets do in fact float so tend to ensure the Bettas get them.  In the case of slower Bettas, such as Bob, I use tongs to offer him food.  With the Cory's sometimes I will roll a few pellets together so that they sink faster and the other fish do not gobble them all.  Although, in my experience there always seems to be enough that reach the aquarium floor.

I bought the small size of this pellet as I felt it provided more options for feeding, as after all you can roll them together if you want larger pieces, as above.

Anyone else tried a moist food?

Only just seen this thread!
I haven't bought a moist food but do soak the betta pellets I got with my betta. They swell a bit which makes it easier for my partially-sighted betta to see them. They still float too which is a big bonus.
Have followed your link and they look interesting - how are you finding them?

Haven't seen the food you mentioned or any moist foods specifically for bettas but IMO they do just fine on a decent quality flake, micropellet and frozen foods as a treat.

New Era pellets are the only ones I know to be a moist food and they are one of the best on the market IMO, was recently shown all the individual ingredients that go into their flakes and pellets (same ingredients, difference process to form flakes or pellets) and it was very interesting! New Era reps are the most interesting people to talk to and I learned many things in such a short space of time, especially as they are coming back for proper training session at a later date. But were talking about how oily their moist pellets are as it does look a little worrying but they point out that from all their individual ingredients, *all* oils are removed so that the oil they replace to bind the food is exactly the oils the fish need. Which is apparently *not* Omega 3 that lots of other companies include in their foods and promote because unless the fish live somewhere very cold and need to build up big fat reserves, they don't want omega 3 in their diet. That said... cant remember what the oil was that they use LOL. Random interesting information.

Seems they are working on ways to create much smaller versions of their pellets too which is fantastic news but it means modifying all the machinery used to make the pellets so they can be cut smaller! They have already reduced the size of the marine grazer block which was way too big for most peoples tanks which is a start..

To me, these foods look a bit like a rip off of New Era, the pots look similar, their descriptions of the foods are also very similar, even how they word it seems similar. To be fair, my loyalties tend to lie with whichever food that I find fish really like and the company that is not only willing to explain everything but really enthusiastic about it too. No good telling me their products are better than someone else's if they can't tell me why!

New Era and New Life Spectrum are both very good companies to deal with and when I have contacted them, they have been more than happy to discuss processes, what's in their foods, where their ingredients come from (I remember New Era stuff is generally all from the UK with a few bits from France at the furthest). Not that that helps for those not in the UK haha.

http://www.new-era-aquaculture.com/fish-food/tropical-range/tropical-pellets

Would be interesting to see how the two foods compared if analysed.

I bought my fish some of the New Era range for the first time just before Xmas, they have all been very popular, so much so I've got a 1.8Kg Plec Pellets tub arriving tomorrow (far better value in bulk, ~£45). Being so soft, you can squash these pellets onto rocks in the tank, which can be great for wild caught algae grazers (eg. newly purchased Rubbernose, in the wild they clean algae rocks looking for tiny critters, using this technique will make it easier for them to adapt to captivity).

Trying a "Tropical Grazer" for the first time too, they look so similar to what I think of as the evil "holiday blocks," but we shall see!

Mamashack said:
Only just seen this thread!
I haven't bought a moist food but do soak the betta pellets I got with my betta. They swell a bit which makes it easier for my partially-sighted betta to see them. They still float too which is a big bonus.
Have followed your link and they look interesting - how are you finding them?

@MBOU: New Era pellets are the only ones I know to be a moist food and they are one of the best on the market IMO

I have been meaning to respond to this topic for a very long time and apologise for not doing so sooner, at least now I can close the tab with it on 
wink.png

Firstly, thanks MBOU for your detailed response I found it interesting reading.  Mamashack, I was very happy with the original pellets I describe and so were all the Bettas.  I have recently purchased the New Era Tropical Pellets and the Tropical Grazer.  I am finding their tropical pellets to sink a lot faster as they are very much larger, and if I am not careful my new baby Betta girls get "engorged" very quickly as they grab one on the way to the bottom of the tank.

The tropical grazer is used in my large aquarium, and initially the fish did not seem interested, but over time they seem to have got used to them.  I put one each side of the tank and they slowly dissolve over time, with different fish coming to take a peck.  I tend to use these about every ten days or so.  They also have the pellets as well as the other foods I feed.

I think when I need to purchase some more, I may well go back to my original version (Firstbite), purely for the size of them.  Will let you know if anything changes over time.

Just thought I would update you all on my experience with these products. I have found that the Firstbite stayed moist within the container for far longer than the New Era. In fact I have even chucked out some of the New Era as I felt it got too dry, or I re-moisten it in Garlicguard. Thus my preference when the New Era tub is finished is that I would go back to the Firstbite product.

In respect to the tropical grazer I have found mixed results with it. Some fish just do not seem interested in it at all. I have started to use it on my Juwel tank, and the Pencilfish seem to spend a fair amount of time around it, with the Cory's etc cleaning up at the bottom. Not sure if I would buy it again, will decide once it is empty, but at this stage unlikely.

Most reactions

trending

Back