Mixing Honey Gourami varieties?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

OliveFish05

Fish Aficionado
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Hello! I was just curious if it is ok to mix gold and red honey gouramis? Well, I suppose a better question is is it ok to mix any of the different color varieties? I was hoping to have 3 gold honey gouramis, 2 red honey gouramis, a group of Pygmy cories, and a BN Pleco in a 20 gallon long tank. I appreciate any help!

It is OK to mix natural and yellow varieties. There is some discussion about whether the red ones are actually honeys. The opinions vary between true honeys, hybrids of honey and another gourami, and mis-labelled thick lipped gouramis.

Unless you are 100% sure they really are honeys, I wouldn't mix the red ones with either yellows or naturals.

It is OK to mix natural and yellow varieties. There is some discussion about whether the red ones are actually honeys. The opinions vary between true honeys, hybrids of honey and another gourami, and mis-labelled thick lipped gouramis.

Unless you are 100% sure they really are honeys, I wouldn't mix the red ones with either yellows or naturals.
Ohhh hmmmm ok, thank you! My LFS has a tank with some labeled “gold honey gourami” a second tank labeled “red gold honey dwarf gourami” and a third tank with “sunset thick lipped gourami“. I did take photos when I was there, do you think someone may be able to identify if they are true honeys or not?

Looking back the photos were awful, but i suppose it’s worth a try?

The fish in the first photo is labeled “Red gold honey dwarf gourami” the second is “gold honey gourami”

Attachments

• AF8BCFC1-B7C8-42C4-AA2B-4BC0B5EB4D20.jpeg
    AF8BCFC1-B7C8-42C4-AA2B-4BC0B5EB4D20.jpeg
    189.9 KB · Views: 141
  • D17F5778-11F5-4E08-84B0-5BA430949183.jpeg
    D17F5778-11F5-4E08-84B0-5BA430949183.jpeg
    209.3 KB · Views: 128
The fish in the first photo is labeled “Red gold honey dwarf gourami” the second is “gold honey gourami”
Hi, both are Trichogaster Chuna, Honey Gourami. The "Red Gold" is a nicely coloured male and the one on the right is a typical female lacking the strong orange/red pigment around the tail and anal fin.

Hi, both are Trichogaster Chuna, Honey Gourami. The "Red Gold" is a nicely coloured male and the one on the right is a typical female lacking the strong orange/red pigment around the tail and anal fin.
Ah wonderful!! Thank you for the reply! Is it ok for me to do a mix of males and females of these 2 varieties?

You can have males and females from any colour of true honeys. If they bred and the fry managed to survive, they would be 'mongrels'. This isn't bad, it's just that the fry may not look the same as the parents.

You can have males and females from any colour of true honeys. If they bred and the fry managed to survive, they would be 'mongrels'. This isn't bad, it's just that the fry may not look the same as the parents.
Ohhhh ok. Thank you for your help!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back