Missing Laptop Files...?

Carp4U

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Basically, I got a virus (which has now gone) on my laptop. It was pretty bad, bringing pop-ups and things which then ended up removing my desktop wallpaper, deleting some programs and possibly deleting files. My user folder disappeared but not much else seemed to get deleted. My laptop is Vista btw. Anyway, I battled and got rid of the virus but when I went in my Data:E file (basically one half of my hardrive, it said it was completely empty. However, when I right click on the folder, it still says it's got 5GB worth of stuff (all of my music!). But nothing shows up. My iTunes still plays all of my music, and all of it is kept in this folder. So I know it's all in there, but I can't see it?
I had the same problem with my expansion plug-in drive. It had about 29GB of stuff on, all my photos, and that said it was empty! I nearly burst into tears thinking I'd lost years and years of my photography! However, if you right click, it still says there's stuff there, 29GB in fact. But nothing is there. If you copy and paste the expansion drive, it said copying 29GB etc.. and it took a few hours but it did. The files then showed up on my mums computer which is where I copied them and they showed up.

Can anyone think of any way of seeing these files? I THINK they're there, but why can't I see them? Is it virus related?

Thanks guys!

The are most likely hidden. I would search .trash or something similar on the search of your computer. You may want help from someone on here who is more experienced than I.

Thanks for your reply (and your reply to the Itunes post I put last week or so)
I'VE FIXED IT! YAHOO!
Simply googled it and within a few minutes it was fixed. Went into Folder options in the control panel, looked at the settings, and unticked the box 'Don't show hidden files and folders'. Clicked apply. Then looked into my hardrives and documents folders- everything's back there!!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back