Got a confusing situation, got a 60l Biorb tank, with the following stock

2 x Swordtails (1 male, 1 female)
3 Rummy nose Tetra
1 Neon Tetra
4 Glowlight Tetra
2 Guppy
1 Rosy tetra
2 Algae Eating Shrimp

This stock went for about 9 months without a casualty, until yesterday when i was feeding the fish, i couldnt see the shrimp, i thought maybe they were hiding in the volcano tube.

Today, still no sign of them, so i did a water change, took out the artificial plants, and cleaned filter, nothing, no where to be seen.

They couldnt have been eaten could they? I would find this odd, as the fish had never ever ever even gone near the shrimp before.

Its even more confusing that both have vanished??

Don't know what happened to your shrimp, but that's one of the strangest stockings I've seen on here.
blink.gif

Hi guys,

3 Rummy nose Tetra
1 Neon Tetra
4 Glowlight Tetra
2 Guppy
1 Rosy tetra
2 Algae Eating Shrimp

This stock went for about 9 months without a casualty, until yesterday when i was feeding the fish, i couldnt see the shrimp, i thought maybe they were hiding in the volcano tube.

Today, still no sign of them, so i did a water change, took out the artificial plants, and cleaned filter, nothing, no where to be seen.

They couldnt have been eaten could they? I would find this odd, as the fish had never ever ever even gone near the shrimp before.

Aside from the shrimp issue, I felt I had to say that this tank is very overstocked. The BiOrbs aren't the best for filtration and the spherical shape means less surface area for oxygen exchange and less swimming space for fish. All the tetras should be in groups of at least 6 of each species. Those swordtails need a far larger tank and ideally a minimum ratio of 2:1 or 3:1 females to males. The guppies, I hope, are of the same gender, as otherwise you will be overloaded with fry.
If I were you, I would choose just one species of tetra and have 6 individuals and maybe keep the guppies. Alternatively, perhaps go for a shoal of microrasbora with the guppies. IMO, that's probably the better route to go down.

As for the shrimp, the dissapearance is a mystery. I'd keep looking around though, sometimes I don't see my red cherries for ages as they hide in my silk plants. I actually thought I had lost them myself once, but I soon found them again. However, the fact that you took everything out makes that less likely. Perhaps some other fish did eat them - there's a first time for everything. This seems relatively unlikely though, as the fish in there are fairly peaceful and I wouldn't have thought they were big enough to eat the shrimp.

Hi guys,

3 Rummy nose Tetra
1 Neon Tetra
4 Glowlight Tetra
2 Guppy
1 Rosy tetra
2 Algae Eating Shrimp

Aside from the shrimp issue, I felt I had to say that this tank is very overstocked. The BiOrbs aren't the best for filtration and the spherical shape means less surface area for oxygen exchange and less swimming space for fish. All the tetras should be in groups of at least 6 of each species. Those swordtails need a far larger tank and ideally a minimum ratio of 2:1 or 3:1 females to males. The guppies, I hope, are of the same gender, as otherwise you will be overloaded with fry.
If I were you, I would choose just one species of tetra and have 6 individuals and maybe keep the guppies. Alternatively, perhaps go for a shoal of microrasbora with the guppies. IMO, that's probably the better route to go down.

Aside from that, the shrimp dissapearance is a mystery. I'd keep looking around though, sometimes I don't see my red cherries for ages as they hide in my silk plants. I actually thought I had lost them myself once, but I soon found them again. The fact they have both vanished does make it more perplexing, but I'd give it another few days personally to see if they turn up.

Thanks for your reply, i didnt realise i maye be over stocked, as all seemed to be doing really well, and like i mentioned not a casualty for 9 months.

The reason it is 1 male and 1 female Swordtail is because originally i had 2 x females, one gave birth, and the male survived and grew up in the tank, sadly one female died (9 months ago) hence the reason 1 male and 1 female.

I had a good look around the tank tonight when cleaning it, no sign of them at all, usually when cleaning the water they are scampering around the bottom.

Don't know what happened to your shrimp, but that's one of the strangest stockings I've seen on here.
blink.gif

Im sorry that it doesnt fit in with your idea of the perfect tank. But that is the way it has ended up and for the last 9 months they have all been doing really well.

The level of casualties doesn't always determine health though, as I found out myself when I first started keeping tropical fish, having 9 neon tetras in the 15L version of the BiOrb. I didn't lose any for some time, but when I realised what a huge mistake I had made and was left with 3 or 4, I took them to my LFS who took them in for free and got a betta.
I didn't do any research and relied totally on a LFS (a different one to the place the tetras went to). Fortunately I know better now - I probably spend too much time researching :lol:

The shrimp issue does seem very strange to me... :blink:

Im sorry that it doesnt fit in with your idea of the perfect tank. But that is the way it has ended up and for the last 9 months they have all been doing really well.

I didn't say anything about a perfect tank. It is overstocked, to be sure, and with an odd mix of one and two fish per species.

The level of casualties doesn't always determine health though, as I found out myself when I first started keeping tropical fish, having 9 neon tetras in the 15L version of the BiOrb. I didn't lose any for some time, but when I realised what a huge mistake I had made and was left with 3 or 4, I took them to my LFS who took them in for free and got a betta.

I understand what you are saying, just that if all fish seem happy, health, eating, then how do i know if i have a problem?

I am very very confused by the shrimp issue, it doesnt make sense at all, as like i say, the other fish never ever went near the shrimp at all.

I didn't say anything about a perfect tank. It is overstocked, to be sure, and with an odd mix of one and two fish per species.

dont you think maybe fish die? Leaving one or 2 per species?

What do you want me to do, kill my Neon and Rosy tetra so that they are not 1 of a species?

I understand what you are saying, just that if all fish seem happy, health, eating, then how do i know if i have a problem?

You know if you have a problem if:

a) your LFS allows you to purchase those fish for your tank

b) you look at tank sizes for those fish, and realise they all need tanks either that size or larger, but far less fish in that tank

b) you test your water. It is highly likely you have some high readings there, particularly nitrate due to the huge amount of waste produced by all those fish and the filter being unable to cope with it. Even though it is apparent you are conducting water changes, they won't be enough in this case.

Even if you look on the BiOrb stocking instructions, you will find that your tank is overstocked and their instructions are overstocked anyway. The BiOrb I had said 6 small bodied fish - aside from perhaps microrasbora or endlers, 6 bodied fish would probably need 50+ liters depending on species.

I am very very confused by the shrimp issue, it doesnt make sense at all, as like i say, the other fish never ever went near the shrimp at all.

What do you want me to do, kill my Neon and Rosy tetra so that they are not 1 of a species?

I really would re-stock your tank. There are some lovely microrasbora species out there that would do much better in that tank and you may be able to keep your guppies in there with them. Or, even just have a group of one of those tetra species (either with guppies and 6 individuals, or no guppies and perhaps 8 individuals). Your tank will truly be far happier and healthier.

Please do not become annoyed towards us - we are merely trying to help you get the best life for your fish. Even without the neon and rosy tetra, that tank will still be over and inapropriately stocked. It may not entirely be your fault if you don't have a good LFS and they allowed you to buy all those fish, but simple research would have given you the knowledge to ignore the LFS. Many new fish owners don't think of researching, believing their LFS is trust-worthy enough. They sell the fish right? I didn't research very well, but once I found out my mistakes, I hastened to try to make them right and start again. It's all a learning curve :good:

Good grief!

Indeed, sorry King Tank owner

I agree with everything This Old Spouse said. They're obviously trying to help you, and you're simply putting up a sarcastic attitude. You came here looking for help, exactly what TOS is trying to offer.
As someone else stated, it would be much better to return those oddball 1 or 2 fish you have to the petstore, and instead have 6 fish of 1 species. They'll all be a lot happier. Just because their living doesn't mean there's any quality to their life. THey'd all appreciate have more of their own species. You'll see their more natural behavior, and more of their personality. THat's just my advice however.

b) you look at tank sizes for those fish, and realise they all need tanks either that size or larger, but far less fish in that tank

b) you test your water. It is highly likely you have some high readings there, particularly nitrate due to the huge amount of waste produced by all those fish and the filter being unable to cope with it. Even though it is apparent you are conducting water changes, they won't be enough in this case.

Even if you look on the BiOrb stocking instructions, you will find that your tank is overstocked and their instructions are overstocked anyway. The BiOrb I had said 6 small bodied fish - aside from perhaps microrasbora or endlers, 6 bodied fish would probably need 50+ liters depending on species.

Ok, thanks for your help, i wont add any more fish and just hope that the fish i have in there survive the way they have been for alot longer. I will continue to maintain it the way i have been and hope the fish remain as healthy as they have done for the last 9 months

Good grief!

I agree with everything This Old Spouse said. They're obviously trying to help you, and you're simply putting up a sarcastic attitude. You came here looking for help, exactly what TOS is trying to offer.
As someone else stated, it would be much better to return those oddball 1 or 2 fish you have to the petstore, and instead have 6 fish of 1 species. They'll all be a lot happier. Just because their living doesn't mean there's any quality to their life. THey'd all appreciate have more of their own species. You'll see their more natural behavior, and more of their personality. THat's just my advice however.

One person was trying to help me, and it wasnt TOS. I have had my Neon in the tank for 20 months, so i am not returning the "oddball" fish to a pet store.

Ok, thanks for your help, i wont add any more fish and just hope that the fish i have in there survive the way they have been for alot longer. I will continue to maintain it the way i have been and hope the fish remain as healthy as they have done for the last 9 months

Good grief!

One person was trying to help me, and it wasnt TOS. I have had my Neon in the tank for 20 months, so i am not returning the "oddball" fish to a pet store.

If you now know that your tank isn't right, why don't you strive to change it? Any good fishkeeper wants the absolute best for their fish. Being alive doesn't mean happy and healthy - anyone could live in a 3 x 3 meter room their entire lives if they had a toilet, means of sanitation and a continuous food supply.

I really would re-stock your tank. There are some lovely microrasbora species out there that would do much better in that tank and you may be able to keep your guppies in there with them. Or, even just have a group of one of those tetra species (either with guppies and 6 individuals, or no guppies and perhaps 8 individuals). Your tank will truly be far happier and healthier.

Please do not become annoyed towards us - we are merely trying to help you get the best life for your fish. Even without the neon and rosy tetra, that tank will still be over and inapropriately stocked. It may not entirely be your fault if you don't have a good LFS and they allowed you to buy all those fish, but simple research would have given you the knowledge to ignore the LFS. Many new fish owners don't think of researching, believing their LFS is trust-worthy enough. They sell the fish right? I didn't research very well, but once I found out my mistakes, I hastened to try to make them right and start again. It's all a learning curve :good:

Thank you, i do appreciate you advice, at least you are trying to offer help.

Just a bit confused as to how fish i have had for 18-20 months, are not having a good life? They seem to be doing well to me.

I'm just trying to figure out why you're taking such a vicious attitude toward me. I just stated an observation, that it was an odd stocking. I didn't even say it was bad. "King Tank owner"? What the heck?

I'd be happy to try to help. Or, I would have. But clearly you wouldn't heed anything I say at this point, so I'll just sign off. Good luck to you.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back