Missing Algae Eating Shrimp X 2

I'm just trying to figure out why you're taking such a vicious attitude toward me. I just stated an observation, that it was an odd stocking. I didn't even say it was bad. "King Tank owner"? What the heck?

I'd be happy to try to help. Or, I would have. But clearly you wouldn't heed anything I say at this point, so I'll just sign off. Good luck to you.

I came on looking for advice or a theory on the shrimp, you reply with a 1 liner slating my tank and the stock i have, good advice, thanks.

Thank you, i do appreciate you advice, at least you are trying to offer help.

Just a bit confused as to how fish i have had for 18-20 months, are not having a good life? They seem to be doing well to me.

It's exactly the scenario I described to you about the person living in a room. Put yourself in your fishes shoes, think about how they are living their lives. No or few friends, crowded living space, poor sanitation and water quality (air qualty equivalent). You could look at the person - they may have a healthy and balanced diet, and therefore be in a good physical state. "Yeah, they look like they're getting on fine" could be an accurate observation. However, if you actually asked them about their lives, what do you think their answer would be?

If you are a good fish keeper and want the best for your fish, you will change your stocking and your tank, turn a new leaf and start again. Most LFS will take in unwanted fish, or if you are unable to do so, I am sure some people on here would be happy to take them off of your hands.

in the wild....the same species shoul together...neons tetras etc naturally live in groups of 1000's, they like their own kind as company.
by just keeping one they wont feel the security as they would in larger groups.

how do we know our fish are happy? The only way we can help them is by giving them as much as natural habitat as they are supposed to have. Clean fresh water, food and places to hide.

Good Luck to you x

I'm just trying to figure out why you're taking such a vicious attitude toward me. I just stated an observation, that it was an odd stocking. I didn't even say it was bad. "King Tank owner"? What the heck?

I'd be happy to try to help. Or, I would have. But clearly you wouldn't heed anything I say at this point, so I'll just sign off. Good luck to you.

I came on looking for advice or a theory on the shrimp, you reply with a 1 liner slating my tank and the stock i have, good advice, thanks.

All I can say is while the shrimp were the question of the thread, they aren't the main issue here. They have clearly dissapeared somewhere, but who knows where. The substrate perhaps? I've never heard of burying shrimp though.

While TOS's response was perhaps not the most gentle one, it wasn't an inaccurate one. Stocking advice may not have been the advice you were looking for, but it's the advice you need.

Thank you, i do appreciate you advice, at least you are trying to offer help.

Just a bit confused as to how fish i have had for 18-20 months, are not having a good life? They seem to be doing well to me.

It's exactly the scenario I described to you about the person living in a room. Put yourself in your fishes shoes, think about how they are living their lives. No or few friends, crowded living space, poor sanitation and water quality (air qualty equivalent). You could look at the person - they may have a healthy and balanced diet, and therefore be in a good physical state. "Yeah, they look like they're getting on fine" could be an accurate observation. However, if you actually asked them about their lives, what do you think their answer would be?

If you are a good fish keeper and want the best for your fish, you will change your stocking and your tank, turn a new leaf and start again. Most LFS will take in unwanted fish, or if you are unable to do so, I am sure some people on here would be happy to take them off of your hands.

I understand that, thanks for your help. as for the shrimp, thats a mystery.

in the wild....the same species shoul together...neons tetras etc naturally live in groups of 1000's, they like their own kind as company.
by just keeping one they wont feel the security as they would in larger groups.

how do we know our fish are happy? The only way we can help them is by giving them as much as natural habitat as they are supposed to have. Clean fresh water, food and places to hide.

Good Luck to you x

Thank you, didnt expect all this when i came on tonight. However, i do understand the comments given.

I thought all was well because for 9 months i had 0 loss's

All I can say is while the shrimp were the question of the thread, they aren't the main issue here. They have clearly dissapeared somewhere, but who knows where. The substrate perhaps? I've never heard of burying shrimp though.

While TOS's response was perhaps not the most gentle one, it wasn't an inaccurate one. Stocking advice may not have been the advice you were looking for, but it's the advice you need.

Say i was to start again, can you give me a few different stocking ideas please?

Sure, I would be glad to help with that.

Don't get me wrong, it might not be the best tank out there, but there is plenty you can do with it.

You could choose one of your tetra species and up the number to 6-8, depending on whether you keep the guppies or not.

Microrasbora are definitely worth looking into, with them being so small, you would easily be able to have a group of 10 in there IMO, with or without the guppies (though some may debate that).

Bettas are also an option - a 60L BiOrb would make a fantastic home for one and a group of other fish (like some of your tetras or microrasbora). Unfortunately, you won't be able to have any bottom dwellers due to the coarse ceramic media.

Just a few ideas there. However, there are many different options out there that you could choose from. Therefore, if I were you, I'd investigate plenty of different fish types out there. Tetras, livebearers, etc. Find some species you like the look of and come on here for opinions on them and to see if they'd work. I've listed some of my favourites, now it's your turn. Anything you'd really like to keep? Anything you've seen in a LFS before but not brought home? Have a good root around.

Sure, I would be glad to help with that.

Don't get me wrong, it might not be the best tank out there, but there is plenty you can do with it.

You could choose one of your tetra species and up the number to 6-8, depending on whether you keep the guppies or not.

Microrasbora are definitely worth looking into, with them being so small, you would easily be able to have a group of 10 in there IMO, with or without the guppies (though some may debate that).

Bettas are also an option - a 60L BiOrb would make a fantastic home for one and a group of other fish (like some of your tetras or microrasbora). Unfortunately, you won't be able to have any bottom dwellers due to the coarse ceramic media.

Just a few ideas there. However, there are many different options out there that you could choose from. Therefore, if I were you, I'd investigate plenty of different fish types out there. Tetras, livebearers, etc. Find some species you like the look of and come on here for opinions on them and to see if they'd work. I've listed some of my favourites, now it's your turn. Anything you'd really like to keep? Anything you've seen in a LFS before but not brought home? Have a good root around.

If im honest, i love my 2 swordtails, esp the male, because it was born and raised in the tank.

IMO, those swordtails need a larger tank than the biorb, especially as they may breed, being male and female.

You could just get a larger tank if you wished to keep more fish. If you simply added toy your current stock, for example:

4 x Swordtails (1 male, 3 female)
6 Rummy nose Tetra
6 Neon Tetra
6 Glowlight Tetra
2 Guppy
6 Rosy tetra

IMO, this tank would be too 'busy', too many different types of fish in small numbers, but everyone has their own opinions. I would roughly guess a tank of 40 US gallons would be needed for those fish.

However, if you removed two of the tetra shoals, I would guess that 30 US gallons would suffice nicely.

These tank sizes are clearly far greater than the size of your current tank, ranging from 110L to 150L depending on whether you dropped 2 tetra species or not. However, these would be the sizes required to make all the fish happier if you were to keep all/the majority of them. Unless you are willing to make such an investment, I would narrow your numbers hugely.

Thanks mate, I'll consider a bigger tank.

Out of interest, how are you working out the quantity of fish to tank size, I have 13 fish in 60ltr, and you recommend 30 fish in approx 120 ltr.

You have had no losses for 9 months, but you did have losses before that, as thats how you got down to odd numbers of tetras...

So counting fish losses as a means of measuring happiness of fish isnt the greatest. As then you won't know you have a problem till AFTER the next lot starts dieing (if indeed they will, by the very process of natural selection you more than likely have some tough fish)

With regards to the shrimp, how long since you last saw them? Possible they died a while ago and have been gradually decomposed/eaten? (unlikely I know, but then so is my only other guess that they formed a tiny shrimp/fish pyramid and escaped)

Out of interest, how are you working out the quantity of fish to tank size, I have 13 fish in 60ltr, and you recommend 30 fish in approx 120 ltr.

The 30 (120lt) Gallon tank he recomends only has 18 fish
The 40 (150lt) gallon tank is the one with 30 fish, but the extra 12 are schoals of tetra, its more about the room for them to swim in and the opportunity for them to move around than a hard and fast 1 fish per x

Instead of a larger tank, what about another small tank that you could move some into? Have one in a different room? (although bit more maintenence, but bit cheaper than buying a much bigger tank)

The 30 (120lt) Gallon tank he recomends only has 18 fish
The 40 (150lt) gallon tank is the one with 30 fish, but the extra 12 are schoals of tetra, its more about the room for them to swim in and the opportunity for them to move around than a hard and fast 1 fish per x

Instead of a larger tank, what about another small tank that you could move some into? Have one in a different room? (although bit more maintenence, but bit cheaper than buying a much bigger tank)

Not sure that would work with the swordtails though, IMO 60L is too small for them so depends what you define as small, but I expect that could certainly work with the other fish in there :good:

Ozle was pretty much correct there. With stocking, its not all about numbers. There aren't really any definite rules to follow (inches per gallon, cm per liter etc). Its the size, compatibility, activity level and numbers of fish needed that contributes to stocking, different fish species have different needs. The filtration and water change schedule used also has an effect on stocking. A poorly filtered tank with technically be able to hold less fish than an over filtered tank. Technically. It works better in some cases than in others. In your case, however, I wouldn't try to push the boundaries too much.

I did use Aquadvisor.com to help me on those stocking estimates. While rarely 100% accurate, it usually gives a decent rough idea when it comes to stocking an aquarium.

I'm really glad to hear you are considering doing something about those fish/that tank :good:

You have had no losses for 9 months, but you did have losses before that, as thats how you got down to odd numbers of tetras...

So counting fish losses as a means of measuring happiness of fish isnt the greatest. As then you won't know you have a problem till AFTER the next lot starts dieing (if indeed they will, by the very process of natural selection you more than likely have some tough fish)

With regards to the shrimp, how long since you last saw them? Possible they died a while ago and have been gradually decomposed/eaten? (unlikely I know, but then so is my only other guess that they formed a tiny shrimp/fish pyramid and escaped)

Ok, thanks for the info.

I last saw the shrimps on Saturday and noticed they were missing on Sunday

Mosy likely dead. Or hiding for fear of predation. A shirmp can be eaten by most fish in a few hours.

I had some good pointers for this tank too, and then i saw the way This Old Spouse was treated yesterday......

shrimp are very sensitive, if your water was slightly off then they would just die and get eaten in minutes. did you test your water ?

Most reactions

trending

Back