Missing Algae Eating Shrimp X 2

Mosy likely dead. Or hiding for fear of predation. A shirmp can be eaten by most fish in a few hours.

I had some good pointers for this tank too, and then i saw the way This Old Spouse was treated yesterday......

The way tos was treated??

You didn't see his reply to me then?

Hiding in fear? So for over a year they were fine and then all of a sudden became scared and started hiding? Ok then

First off, I'm a her, not a his. Second, I have no idea why you're getting so bent out of shape over all this. I simply made an observation. Period. Nothing to get all offended about, really. Third, if you're going to survive on this forum, you need to be able to take some criticism. Once you've posted a while longer, you'll realize that we care for fish a great deal and will make suggestions about what we think is best for your fish. This whole thread has turned nasty, and it's not because of my comment. You took it the wrong way somehow, even though comments made by other members after me were much more pointed and critical.

We're concerned about your fish, not your ego, and if you'd like to hear some helpful suggestions from members who have been in the hobby for decades, then perhaps you might like to take the advice instead of attacking the advice givers. Just a thought.

I wasnt going to bother, but Okay, lets run this down from the top;

Firstly, TOS is a lady, not a guy. Dont mix these up, itll cause you no end of issue here and in life. Im sure she would be offended to be reffered to as such, since its on the profile to the left of all her posts.

The "observation" she made about your tank was quite true, i too have never seen such a strange stocking. I appreciate your comments on "they've been fine for the last 9 months, however; define "fine". Have you studied these fish in the wild, and made a comparison to their behaviour in AND out of their natural habitat? No? Then how do you know they are "fine".

Im not saying we know any better than you, but we get things as close to nature as possible, so to have single number for a species that lives in such MASSIVE numbers, is simply, strange. Hence TOS's comment.

You them proceeded to make the comment "im sorry it doesnt fit in with your idea of a perfect tank". There is no pefect tank, none of use have a perfect tank (
we often claim "Wow ive done it" to but we quickly find something else we want), but we (the majority) make dam n sure that we get as close to their natural habitat as possible. What you have is so far removed from their natural habitat im suprised they havent already died of stress, so on this part, congrats.

Im glad Pablo took the time to bother responding, (And i quote ["While TOS's response was perhaps not the most gentle one, it wasn't an inaccurate one. Stocking advice may not have been the advice you were looking for, but it's the advice you need"]) and im sure if you were to read the post back from the start again having read this, you'll likely see that it was infact yourself that was too quick to jump the gun. I notice, despite Pablo's eagerness to help, that you negated the above line from him.

I dont think there is much else to sa. If you want advice, ask for it, sometimes (like in TOS's case) it may be freely offered (I can tell you she would likely have happily helped put a stocklist together to help out, had she not got the response she did) but it will always be honest, even if its not what you want to here.

We have nothing to gain or lose by offering you advice. Its for the good of the fish.

First off, I'm a her, not a his. Second, I have no idea why you're getting so bent out of shape over all this. I simply made an observation. Period. Nothing to get all offended about, really. Third, if you're going to survive on this forum, you need to be able to take some criticism. Once you've posted a while longer, you'll realize that we care for fish a great deal and will make suggestions about what we think is best for your fish. This whole thread has turned nasty, and it's not because of my comment. You took it the wrong way somehow, even though comments made by other members after me were much more pointed and critical.

We're concerned about your fish, not your ego, and if you'd like to hear some helpful suggestions from members who have been in the hobby for decades, then perhaps you might like to take the advice instead of attacking the advice givers. Just a thought.

I came here looking for advice and help, a solution about the shrimp, you instantly hit me with a remark about my stocking, not even a thought about the original question, as I said, I didn't go out and buy 1 neon, that's what I jave been left with, I know they are beefed in groups, however I'm aware I have enough in my tank.

I have been given some good advice by people who wanted to help and not jump in with a remark to use yourself/others.

I wasnt going to bother, but Okay, lets run this down from the top;

Firstly, TOS is a lady, not a guy. Dont mix these up, itll cause you no end of issue here and in life. Im sure she would be offended to be reffered to as such, since its on the profile to the left of all her posts.

The "observation" she made about your tank was quite true, i too have never seen such a strange stocking. I appreciate your comments on "they've been fine for the last 9 months, however; define "fine". Have you studied these fish in the wild, and made a comparison to their behaviour in AND out of their natural habitat? No? Then how do you know they are "fine".

Im not saying we know any better than you, but we get things as close to nature as possible, so to have single number for a species that lives in such MASSIVE numbers, is simply, strange. Hence TOS's comment.

You them proceeded to make the comment "im sorry it doesnt fit in with your idea of a perfect tank". There is no pefect tank, none of use have a perfect tank (
we often claim "Wow ive done it" to but we quickly find something else we want), but we (the majority) make dam n sure that we get as close to their natural habitat as possible. What you have is so far removed from their natural habitat im suprised they havent already died of stress, so on this part, congrats.

Im glad Pablo took the time to bother responding, (And i quote ["While TOS's response was perhaps not the most gentle one, it wasn't an inaccurate one. Stocking advice may not have been the advice you were looking for, but it's the advice you need"]) and im sure if you were to read the post back from the start again having read this, you'll likely see that it was infact yourself that was too quick to jump the gun. I notice, despite Pablo's eagerness to help, that you negated the above line from him.

I dont think there is much else to sa. If you want advice, ask for it, sometimes (like in TOS's case) it may be freely offered (I can tell you she would likely have happily helped put a stocklist together to help out, had she not got the response she did) but it will always be honest, even if its not what you want to here.

We have nothing to gain or lose by offering you advice. Its for the good of the fish.

Pablo has been a great help.

Oh well, some people just dont like to take advice. Fair enough but bad form to then slander the poor people who are trying to help.

My 2 pennys worth.

Your shrimp are probably hiding, they are very good at it.

You are overstocked.

You stocklist is a mish mash & could do with a good sorting out.

Hope you dont take offence, but I wont be offended if you do, judging by your previous posts I am actualy expecting in.

Tom

Please Just take a moment to think about something, iainang.

Those people who are giving responses you don't like have lots of experience in fishkeeping. Some - if not all - will have been in the hobby for years or even decades, having hundreds or thousands of posts. They really do know what they are talking about. If you get a particular response from them, chances are that they are pretty much spot on. While perhaps harsher said than myself, we are all in agreement that your tank needs a good sort out.

When I first started, I joined some forums, usually to ask for advice similarly to you (admittedly, this one wasn't my first forum). I got some fairly harsh feedback and read threads about those in similar situations to myself and read their feedback. It was harsh because they wanted me and the people whose other threads I read to realise what I've done wrong and realise how much something needed changing. I took their advice and now I know so much more than I ever would have done if I hadn't taken it.

Its about learning new things and then acting on your new found knowledge. TOS, the others and myself all just want to help you, not offend you. We want to focus on the main issue of your overall tank conditions rather than the shrimp, even if it isn't what you asked for, because we know you need that advice far more than where your shrimp might have got to.

Someone did mention about the shrimp dying at some point in the thread. It is possible, they don't have a huge lifespan. Also, if water quality was particularly poor around the time of the dissapearance, this would have had a huge impact on their health. It isn't uncommon for other fish to eat the dead bodies of their tankmates if given the chance.

Oh well, some people just dont like to take advice. Fair enough but bad form to then slander the poor people who are trying to help.

My 2 pennys worth.

Your shrimp are probably hiding, they are very good at it.

You are overstocked.

You stocklist is a mish mash & could do with a good sorting out.

Hope you dont take offence, but I wont be offended if you do, judging by your previous posts I am actualy expecting in.

Tom

Tom,

Thanks for your reply and no I didn't take offence as yours was a detailed post pointing out a few things, not like TOS one line attempt to mock me.

Anyway, I now realise I am over stocked and will look to put this right.

I was not mocking you. Just making an observation. Nearly all of us understand putting a lighthearted note on things. Sorry you were offended.
rolleyes.gif

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back