MINIMUM SIZE FOR PERMANENT BETTA

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

What do you think is the minumum size a betta should be kept in permanently?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1 cup (8 oz., 1/2 pint)

• Total voters
gaya said:
I hear ya cation. I shouldn't even be here cuz i have a paper due at 5:30pm today that i haven't even started :D i tell ya this forum sucks up so much time.
Whatever you do, Gaya, don't start playing free online poker. The hours I have wasted are countless and irretrievable! :lol:

cation said:
gaya said:
I hear ya cation. I shouldn't even be here cuz i have a paper due at 5:30pm today that i haven't even started :D i tell ya this forum sucks up so much time.
Whatever you do, Gaya, don't start playing free online poker. The hours I have wasted are countless and irretrievable! :lol:
I refuse to get involved with anything that can be remotely addictive. My husband wanted to teach me D&D the other night and i've seen the addicts in that game and told him NO! get away.... though i did join a vegetarian forum and they are a fiesty bunch.

I look at this and think poor little guy:
nastyCup.jpg

That cup held 1 1/4 cups of water - we measured it. (rather off topic, but now you might get a better understanding of why we think a 1 gallon tank is a great little tank to some of these bettas)...

And Gaya - we're not telling you that you're wrong for wanting to put bettas in bigger thanks, that is your opinion. I don't think anyone ever said here that we don't think you should not put a fish in a big tank. More power to ya if you can. We just really don't like being told that we're being cruel to bettas when we believe that what we have is perfectly fine, and they seem perfectly happy.

That's all.

...."sigh"....long thread.
I only posted in the first place on this thread because i wanted to share my opinion on 1gal tanks and bettas.
Sorry for any i have offended, my intention was not to offend people and im sorry i called somone a troll for calling the thread stupid and pointless and its only perpose was to troll or whatever.

SRC said:
I don't see why people keep starting threads like this, that they know will cause conflict and arguments...it's ridiculous.
I don't appreciate that SRC. In my opinion people like you are the ones who create conflict. If you would please read my original message, at the very top of this thread, you'll see that this poll was created to find out members' opinions on tank size. If you can find where I asked for your interpretation of my motives in starting this poll please tell me... I'll be glad to recant the above statements. Otherwise, please stay on topic. I (and I hope I speak for the other members also) don't want to read a post of this nature in a poll about betta tank size. If your opinions dictate that you leave, please do so. You're welcome to think thant I knew and intended for this post to cause conflict, but please don't post your opinion on that in my poll...it is meant to be a friendly discussion of tank size, and if our opinions differ, so be it, and let us be accepting of that. The reason such a poll starts conflict is that members feel obliged to argue, apparently feeling that no one who doesn't share their opinion is right. That, however, isn't the issue with you, SRC. The issue with you is that you make a narrowminded conclusion on an issue in the complete absence of any supporting facts. What leads you to believe that I knew it would cause conflict? Anyway, please don't bring negative and ill-founded opinions into a thread when the post is about something as innocous as betta tank size. Thanks.

Both of my guys are in 3g Eclipse tanks with live plants, caves and other goodies. They are active all day (I watch them while I work) and really do seem content and healthy. Draco had a case of mild fin rot before his tank was cycled but now both tanks are cycled and they just look fabulous.

I'd say 1g minimum but if able to go bigger definitely go for it! I think in the end, a larger cycled tank is easier to care for than a small one that you have to do diligent water changes every few days with, it's so easy to slack off on that from time to time, at least for me. I do a partial change once a week now and my water parameters seem to do well with that. Of course, the more bettas one keeps, the harder it is to put them all in large tanks due to space, money, etc. If you have only one or two bettas, I definitely think every effort should be made to at least get them in a 2.5g at some point. :)

cation said:
Gotta get back to lurking. Posting's leaving a bad taste in my mouth lately.
Please do. Reading your posts leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Virtually every statement you make is argumentative for the sake of being argumentative, and it makes me sick.

:sick:

Thanks for all your replies, and I'm sorry you have to read posts like my previous two, and like those by cation and SRC. Some people don't seem to understand that this is neither a debate nor a psycology class, and I regret it.

Anyway, I thank you guys for voting and for explaining about your tanks and why you voted for what you did. I'm glad to hear that you are concerned about this issue, and as long as the opinions stay just opinions, I'm glad my thread is a host to them.

In my personal opinion, I think there is no set and standard "minumum tank size", which is the precise reason I started this poll--to find out what you guys think about it. In my opinion, as long as the particular betta is reasonably active, seems happy, and has room to swim around, the proper size for a habitat could range from 1/2 to 5 gallons for a lone male betta. Each betta (as many will attest) has its own personality, preferences, and particulars, and those things are, in essence, what dictates minimum tank size. To create a generalization, though, I'd say that an ideal tank would be rectangular, and long in at least one dimension. That allows the betta to swim, stretch its fins, and hide (from what? :rolleyes: ). As for the actual volume (and this is, again, a generalization) I think 2.5 gallons is probably reasonable for MOST bettas.

Thanks again, and please continue to post.

I have found many of cation's posts to be helpful and insightful when people are in need of advice. Cation may have strong opinions and states things without sugar-coating it, but I don't think it's ever meant to deliberately wound and attack someone. I realize this is off topic, but even though I am a highly sensitive person and understand what it is to take things to heart, I still highly respect cation's honesty and forthrightness.

I have also greatly enjoyed many of SRC's posts. That said I don't really think this thread was started just to cause strife, I think alabaster was genuinely interested in people's opinions.

I'd rather not argue here (thats why I posted about SRC and cation), but I must insist that SRC's comment was quite explicit in its meaning, and I don't like that meaning.

Again, I'd rather not argue. That's not what this forum is for. The reason I posted those statements wasn't to propagate the argument further, but to terminate it. I did not mean to offend SRC or cation. I merely was aiming to make known that their impertinent and negative comments are not welcome. I'd much rather discuss fish than argue with anyone, and if I'm going to expend energy arguing, I have much better things to argue about.

PLEASE stay on-topic...again, I don't want to argue on a tropical fish forum.

alabaster, I believe you misinterpreted the meaning of my second paragraph. I edited it with your name (I originally said "the author" because I didn't take especial note of who started the thread, sorry about that :p).

I never said the author of this topic created it simply to cause trouble...I said I don't know why people (meaning the general TTF Betta population) do it over and over (this is not the first thread of this type). A simple "search" would have yielded threads of this very nature..with the same bitter opinions being brutely enforced.

Alabaster, I could care less if you think I create conflict. The conflict I seem to generate regards people not liking to hear the truth. The truth sucks, and most people get angry when confronted with it ...I imagine this is one of those times. I happen to be a blunt, truthful person...doesn't bode well for me at times, but I don't care.

If you, Alabaster (since you like calling people out by name so much), had taken the time to actually read my post(s) and not skim over them.. trying to get the "general feel" of what I was saying..you would have seen that I was not directing anything at anyone in particular, it was simply an observance of what happens when this particular type (controversial type) thread is started. And funny isn't it..that's exactly what was going on..before I ever posted 1 time in here. If I had been talking directly about or to you, I would have posted your name along with my statement(s). (the statement you quoted though, was actually in reference to another thread started a few days ago that got everyone's panties in a knot, seems no one can just state there opinions or facts without trying to prove someone else wrong in the process). :no:

If you don't want to argue here..I would suggest not posting threads of a possible controversial agenda. There are 1,000+ members on this forum..no 2 people are going to agree on a regular basis when asked a question of this nature. That was my whole point.

Honestly i don't think anyone was arguing. When betta momma posted about her particular fish preferring a smaller space i thought that made sense. it was good conversation not arguing. Something i didn't consider and now i have. i don't think the arguing was started by the people involved in the dialog itself. And just because "you" don't find value in a conversation becasue it has been done before doesn't mean that others wont find value in it.

Haiku said:
I have found many of cation's posts to be helpful and insightful when people are in need of advice. Cation may have strong opinions and states things without sugar-coating it, but I don't think it's ever meant to deliberately wound and attack someone. I realize this is off topic, but even though I am a highly sensitive person and understand what it is to take things to heart, I still highly respect cation's honesty and forthrightness.

I have also greatly enjoyed many of SRC's posts. That said I don't really think this thread was started just to cause strife, I think alabaster was genuinely interested in people's opinions.
Thank you, Haiku. I do appreciate that. :thumbs: ;)

Alabaster, this is a topic that begs a debate. You may not like that, but it's a fact. As SRC stated, all it takes is a simple search, and you would find multiple, pages-long threads about this very topic. That doesn't mean it's not worth talking about, just that debate should be expected.

If you don't want to argue here..I would suggest not posting threads of a possible controversial agenda

Well said, SRC. Or at least be prepared for a lively debate.

*edited because it's really not worth my time*

Have a great day, pumpkins!

The arguing I referenced wasn't about betta tank size, or fish at all (I view arguing about the topic at hand as necessary and educational). Thats why I oppose the argument. The arguing I'm talking about is about trolling and can be found towards the bottom of page 5. That has NOTHING to do with bettas, and there's no reason to argue about stuff like that.

Again, when I said "arguing" I was not referring to BettaMomma's posts about tank size, or the replies to her posts. I'm talking about people making a huge deal of trivial things...whether so-and-so is trolling, what the definition of trolling is, etc.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back