MINIMUM SIZE FOR PERMANENT BETTA

šŸ  May TOTM Voting is Live! šŸ 
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
šŸ† Click here to Vote! šŸ†

What do you think is the minumum size a betta should be kept in permanently?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1 cup (8 oz., 1/2 pint)

• Total voters
I voted for one gallon which is perfect and is the average size people use especially if they have more than a few bettas. The care you give them is more important. You can have bettas in 1/2 gallon bowls and aslong as you keep up with the water changes and feed them well they will have no problems. I've had bettas that wouldn't like it when I moved them into a bigger home so I had to move them back!

OrkyBetta said:
All of my bettas are in one gallons, but I really hope to upgrade them someday. But if I do get enough money to upgrade, i bet it will probably go towrds more needy bettas, instead of more lavish homes for the ones I have. Just the way I am, I'd rather keep a lot of "economy class" bettas in modest tanks with the bare necessities, all of their needs covered, good food, clean water, the like, instead of keeping a few bettas in huge tanks, while leaving the rest to rot at the pet store. Just my opinion.
I completely agree.
I get to the point where I have to quit bringing more home because I'm stretched to my max for giving them good care, then when I get the itch I upgrade them a bit. But I'm with you. :)

Just my opinion because everyone's sitution is different, but I voted for the 10 gallons. Right now I have one betta in a 20-gallon tank (with some zebra danios) and he really seems to enjoy swimming all over. I know he's very pretty to watch.

I voted 2 1/2, but both mine are in 3's. Well, theres the new guy (lol, I always call them that...) and I'm getting him a tank ASAP. I think 1 gallon is a bit small TBH, I can't imagine dividing up the 3's into two 1 1/2's. But, each to their own. I suppose its what the bettas used to, over here they're not in cups. I wouldn't move them unless it was to a bigger tank, once they're in the 3's I like to keep them there.

I voted for at least a five gallon. I've seen the 1g's and they're so small. i guess if someone has a ton of betta's they just wont have the room for larger tanks. I have three 5-7 gallon tanks empty in my closet that i got for free. i go garage sale hunting, look in the papers etc. You'd be surprised at what you can find. I've never payed more than $30 for any tank with stand. So i don't see how finances could come into play. Even if someone had to buy a five gallon tank new, they're not that expensive.

Well it looks like the majority of people would't put their betta in anything smaller between a 1gallon and a 5gallon, i suppose some it also depends where you live though- if you live in a resonably hot country like america i suppose alot of people can get away with a 1gal because they don't need a heater, but if you live in somwhere like england you pretty much have to get a 2 or 2 and a half gallon as you don't get heaters smaller enough for anything smaller and the weather can make this a very cold place to live at times. Even if you have central heating your house will inevitably cool down alot at night during the winter and that can be very stressful for the betta.

I have to have a heater in the tank. My house is kept at 76 degrees and water would be at 72-74 degrees, which is too low IMO. I wouldn't want my house set at 80 degrees either. Plus, in the winter, they set the temp at 72. So yea, I wouldn't be able to get away with an unheated tank.

I have one boy in a 10 gallon - he swims all over the place, in and out the plants, through the rocks.... he's always active. Another is in a 5 gallon and again he is very active - exploring every corner of the tank. Then 2 share a divided 5 gallon, and they're not as active. So I would have to say, in an ideal world, at least 5 gallons each. My 5 bettas are soon to have a new 'house' - a 4 foot long tank divided into 5, which will be about 5 gallons each. They will all have plants, rocks, caves etc to keep them amused, and maybe some snails and a kuhli loach or two just to keep them on their toes.

I can see BM's point about rather 1000 in 1 gallons than 100 in 10 gallons and the rest in tiny cups. However, here in the UK they aren't sold in cups that I've ever seen - my lfs has them in divided tanks along with all the other fish, so the need to rescue isn't as great.

If someone is going to have a 1000 fish then i totally understand why they would only get 1g tanks. But is that what really happens? I may be wrong but i highly doubt it. so instead of having a 1000 fish in 1g tanks there will be 10-20 fish in 1g tanks. I know that some people on this board have like 50 some odd betta's in their own tanks but is that anywhere near the majority? I don't get how that analogy is relevant.

gaya said:
So i don't see how finances could come into play. Even if someone had to buy a five gallon tank new, they're not that expensive.
If you're on a fixed income, to buy the gravel, decor, food, etc. that you need - it's tough to do. Really. It's even tough for some people to get just a tiny tank for their fish.

Also, not everyone has time to go garage saling - I'm lucky if I have time to hit the store to check on bettas, let alone try to find huge sales on betta stuff. I sometimes work 50+ hours in a week, and on top of fishy chores - I have to get what I can find, when I can go lookin'.

gaya said:
If someone is going to have a 1000 fish then i totally understand why they would only get 1g tanks. But is that what really happens? I may be wrong but i highly doubt it. so instead of having a 1000 fish in 1g tanks there will be 10-20 fish in 1g tanks. I know that some people on this board have like 50 some odd betta's in their own tanks but is that anywhere near the majority? I don't get how that analogy is relevant.
It was simply an analogy to make a point - it wasn't meant to be literal. Not a lot of people are going to have 1000 bettas (although I'm trying hard). Breeders do have several hundred fish at times, though...

I think a lot of people on here are from different areas of the world - and it's different everywhere. If you see bettas in a lfs that are in heated tanks, often times in 1 gallons or larger, I can see why you would want to have them in something bigger once you brought them home. However... when this is how bettas are sold to you:
nastyCup.jpg

any fish you bring home IS going to be perfectly comfortable in a 1 gallon tank when you bring them home, whether it be for a while or permanently. And, to that point - if you just simply don't have the room to have 5 or 10 gallon tanks all over the place for just one fish, but you want to have several fish (like me, I have 16 right now and I live in a 2 bedroom apartment with 2 other people) you just can't do tanks that big. I feel pretty darn good about now having everyone in 2.5G tanks, except 2 of my boys who are in a split 2.5G tank, and that doesn't bother me one iota. One day maybe I'll give them their own 2.5, but for now they're bubblenesting like crazy, swim laps and seem like they really like their home.

I hear what youā€™re saying about having a lack of space and your bettas are definitely in better care in your home then at your LFS or Wal-Mart. I guess I was just thinking more about the people who have only a few bettas. For those who decide to go into fish keeping purely for the joy of it I donā€™t think finances should be an issue. Granted if you are on a rescue mission itā€™s a different story and I totally respect that. But Iā€™m sure quite of few people got into the hobby due to a desire to have fish, not save them. There have been many times on this forum that Iā€™ve read about people having say their 30g tank but canā€™t afford the additional tank mates for their one schooling fish or what ever and I think thatā€™s lame. If a person is going to be a pet owner then they should be completely financially capable of being one. I know that there are kids here and they donā€™t always have the finances necessary but that is a lesson they should learn. I suppose thatā€™s just an issue that has always bothered me.

Most reactions

Back